Re: Wings

Alex et al,

Knowing that this is a bit off the list topic, I hope it answers a
good bird question:

Bird wings are made for different purposes.  Soarding birds have a
low "aspect ratio," that is, short for the length and many sea birds
have high aspect ratio.  For soaring in thermals, along ridges, etc.
you want maximum lift (broad wings) and for high glide ratio you want
high aspect ratio.  So, modern gliders (sailplanes, as they are
called) have very high aspect wings for maximum glide plus they have
"flaps" - a section of the back of the wing that is adjustable
(similar to many bird wings) to increase wing width when climbing in
a thermal.  Between thermals a pilot wants to minimize loss of
elevation so the flaps are pulled in.  Some modern sailplanes have
glide ratios in excess of 80:1.  So the answer to your question is:
they do.

> The question; why have aircraft designers ignored the wings of
hawks,
> vultures, and eagles, and used the design of the Albatross? Seems
to me
> that the Albatross isdesigned for the oceanic realm, and the
vultures and
> kin are designed for riding thermals over land. Is there a reason
they
> have been ignored in the 100 pplus years of aircraft design?
> Alex Netherton

Tim Lewis
Weaverville, NC