Warblers

     I went out early this morning and, after checking the golf course for
sandpipers (one spotted, half-dozen least), I looked for warblers in an
accessible wooded area.  I ran across a flock of warblers that included
black-and-whites, redstarts, and yellow-rumps.
     In addition to the warblers I saw a male rose-breasted grosbeak and a
female summer tanager in addition to some of the usual permanent residents.

     I got reasonably good looks at a bird that I couldn't identify.  It
was warbler-sized, olive or olive-gray on top, whitish underneath (with a
yellowish wash depending on the light), and a distinct horizontal dark line
through the eye.  I saw it several times but as it was fairly high in the
trees, I didn't see much of the upper side.  However, if it had wing bars
they were indistinct.
     Because I had a glimpse of what was probably a male black-throated
blue [I couldn't relocate it], I thought the unidentified bird might be a
female btb, but another possibility would be a Tennessee.
I could use some help on this one so I'll have an idea what to look for
another time.

Bob

Robert C. Perkins, Ph.D.
Associate Dean for Academic Affairs
Methodist College, Fayetteville, NC 28311
910-630-7037     rperkins@methodist.edu