Warblers and more

     I went back this morning to look for warblers again.  There are a
couple of tulip poplars in bloom, drawing small birds like magnets.  This
morning the otherwise plain, warbler-sized bird with a dark eyeline turned
out to have an eyeline and a white eyebrow with a black border above it:
red-eyed vireo.  I saw plenty of yellow-rumps, a northern parula, and a
couple of black-and-whites.  The best bird up in the tulip trees was a male
scarlet tanager.  I also heard and then located an eastern wood-pewee.  It
was singing the pee-yerr song during the time that I listened to it.
     I saw several warbler-sized birds that were clear light yellow
underneath and darker--olivish or mustard--on the portion of the upper side
that I could see.  However, since they were way up in the top of one of the
tulips, I wasn't able to determine the species.  Maybe another day.
    When I checked the pond at this same location, I found a green heron, a
mallard, several Canada geese, and a sandpiper entangled in monofilament
fishing line.  My first thought was to free it, which I did by catching the
bird and holding it still while I cut loose and unwound the mono.  It flew
off, apparently tired but okay.  Now, what was it?  Dark brown on top,
white underneath, dark bill, greenish legs, outer tail feathers white with
black bars, white eye-ring, and whitish spots on the back.  I'd guess it's
total length at 8-9 inches.  That all adds up to solitary sandpiper--and
I'll guarantee you that I had never expected to find myself holding one in
my hand.

Bob

Robert C. Perkins, Ph.D.
Associate Dean for Academic Affairs
Methodist College, Fayetteville, NC 28311
910-630-7037     rperkins@methodist.edu