Re: Bobolinks

Chris and I went out yesterday, and yes the field was
ready for planting, and we did not see bobolinks, but
we did see lots of E. kingbirds! and the sandpiper.
Was it a solitary or spotted? It kept bobbing its tail
up and down. And we saw either a muskrat or beaver in
the pond with a wad of grasses in its mouth. Turtles
sunning on an old tire;bluebirds and house sparrows
occupying nestboxes all around. One nice man drove by
and said he had seen wood duck mama and babies that
had nested in the wood duck box in the pond. Lots of
red-winged blackbirds displaying, Fish crows,
killdeers calling over the plowed land. A redtail
soaring and perching atop a pine at the edge of the
field. What a beautiful scene with wildflowers of
every color around and the smell of rain and green
grass. Does that mean the bobolinks are gone for now?
Kate
--- Shantanu Phukan <phukan@email.unc.edu> wrote:
> Thought people might like to know that the unmown
> pastures at maple View
> Farm about 7 miles North of Carrboro on Dariyfield
> Road have singing
> Bobolinks in them. In the past the passtures were
> left unmown till
> sometime into may, and there were huge
> concentrations of Bobolinks in
> them, however, when I went today the owners informed
> me that the pastures
> next to the pond (the one most accessible to
> Dairyfield Road) is going to
> be dug up and replanted. It had already been mowed
> and the birds had moved
> across the road to another pasture. In other words,
> if you want to see the
> and hear the bobolinks you may have to hurry before
> all the pastures
> are cut. Also, at the Farm pond was an incredible
> collection of about 8
> easter Kingbirds and one solitary sandpiper, and
> singing Blue Grosbeaks.

> SHANTANU PHUKAN
> Lecturer in Urdu-Hindi & Indian Literature
> University of N. Carolina, Chapel Hill
> Curriculum in Asian Studies
> Alumni Hall 413C
> Chapel Hill, N.C. 27599