Introducing our Red-shouldered Hawk family

This weekend we have enjoyed monitoring the progress of a family of
Red-shouldered Hawks that has nested in a Shagbark Hickory in our backyard
in Chapel Hill.  Here is the history to date.
On Saturday April 1 we first noticed a hawk sitting on the nest.  We have
seen Red-shouldered Hawks in our one-acre wooded back yard before, but have
never seen a nest.  Hurricane Fran opened up what had previously been a
solid canopy, but with a number of tall hickory trees still remaining.
With our scope we have been monitoring the nest each day.
On Wednesday April 26 we first noticed the hawk (presumably the female?)
fussing with something beneath her in the nest.  We presume that the first
egg had hatched.
On Thursday April 27 two chicks were seen clearly.
On Friday April 27 we could count three chicks, with a possible fourth.
On Saturday April 29 we got to see the whole family: four ravenously hungry
chicks, all seemingly about the same size, fuzzy white things with already
powerful looking black beaks and black eyes.  Both parents continuously
brought food all day Saturday and Sunday.  The first item we identified was
a one-foot long snake.  Next, the male (?) brought a mole, passed it to the
female (?) who was already at the nest and who then tore it apart and fed
it, part to each of the four chicks.
On Sunday April 30 both parents continued to bring food, it seemed like
every fifteen minutes.  We saw at least one snake and two large frogs.  All
four chicks continued to eat voraciously.  The chicks already seemed larger.
There is no obvious runt in the family.  But there doesn't seem to be room
for such a large family as they grow larger.  I've read that for
Red-shouldered Hawks, fledging doesn't take place until 39 days.  We will
follow this family on a daily basis and will report on the progress.
We live off Stateside Drive which is off Airport Road in Chapel Hill and
would be glad to show off the family if there is interest.  Please give us a
call to arrange a time (home: 919-929-8679; office: 919-541-7394).

Alan and Sally Johnston
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
agj@rti.org