Midwestern Yankees seek birding help.

A group of Illinois birders will be making a trip to the outer banks and
taking a pelagic trip out of Hatteras.  We are planning on arriving a few
days early to search for some target land birds and seek ideas and assistance
in finding them.  We have already read "A birder's Guide to Coastal North
Carolina" which was very good and helpful.  Because we will be arriving at
the end of the breeding season (12-18 July) we are concerned about being able
to find some of our target species.  Our target species are:  Black Rail,
Red-cockaded Woodpecker, Swainson's Warbler, and Bachman's Sparrow.

Our current itinerary is planned to spend a couple of days birding Croatan
National Forest (including the Millis Road Savanna area) were we hope to find
RCWO, SWWA, and BASP.  Based upon the phrenology of this years breeding
season are these species still likely to be singing or using established
colony areas (RCWO)?

If there is such a thing as a "slam dunk" spot for Black Rail I would
appreciate any suggestions for sites to look for it.  I do not seem to be
able to find this bird anywhere, so any help you can give would be
appreciated.

Bob Montgomery
Dundee, IL

Rmontey@aol.com