First Fledgling Hummer

HI . . .

To follow up on an earlier thread, today (9 June) at 7:10 am I
trapped and banded the first fledgling Ruby-throated Hummingbird
(RTHU) of the year at Hilton Pond Center for Piedmont Natural
History, near York SC.

The bird, a male with rather heavy dark green streaking on its
throat, tied the earliest date for a fledgling hummer here at Hilton
Pond.

This bird had an extremely short bill measurement (13.5 mm), compared
to a typical male measure of 15-17 mm, indicating that the bill was
probably not yet fully formed.

The bird was the 28th RTHU banded this year at Hilton Pond, making
this the third fastest start I've have since hummingbird banding
began here in 1984.

Cheers,

BILL
--
**********

BILL HILTON JR., "The Piedmont Naturalist"
1432 DeVinney Road
York, South Carolina 29745
USA

e-mail: <hilton@hiltonpond.org>

Voice: (803) 684-5852

eFax: (503) 218-0845

Hilton Pond Center for Piedmont Natural History is a 501(c)(3)
non-profit research and education organization, so all in-kind or
monetary gifts to Operation RubyThroat and the Center are
tax-deductible. Please visit our websites:

Hilton Pond:  <http://www.hiltonpond.org>

Operation RubyThroat:  <http://www.rubythroat.org>

"Never trust a person too lazy to get up for sunrise or too busy to
watch the sunset."

						BHjr.