Headboat Birding on 6-17

Hi Carolinabirders,
	Yesterday, I finally was able to do some Headboat birding out of Murrells
Inlet, S.C. after three delays. Donna Bailey joined me on this trip.
Unfortunately this date is probably outside of the best period for seeing
many birds. In addition the Gulf Stream had moved further offshore as
compared to my early May trip and I really doubt that the boat was in the
Gulf Stream at all. As evidence we did not see a scrap of sorgassum on this
trip.  Nonetheless we did not get skunked.  Three out of the four birds
seen outside the jetties were true pelagics.
1. Greater Shearwater-12 the most I have ever seen on these trips
   Shearwater Sp.-6
2. Wilson's Storm-Petrel-1 or 2
3. Long-tailed Jaeger-2 only about 15 miles out on our return trip. Long
looks at distant birds traveling together.  The very long tails were seen
on both birds.
(I on the one bird I concentrated on and Donna on both)  Curiously we saw
no white on both birds, Could this be the result of distance or could they
be the rare melanistic form mentioned in Harrison's Seabird Identification
Guide.  Have dark morph adult Long-tailed's been regularly seen in the
Outer Banks pelagics?

Jack Peachey
Conway, SC