Mississippi Kites

Yesterday I went to Roanoke Rapids to view the Mississippi Kites.  They spent
the entire time I was there (1 hour) circling the area in the vicinity of
Franklin & 8th Street.  I never saw more than two birds in the air, one adult
and the immature.  It looked like the parent was supervising flight practice.
 The youngster did not soar as high as the adult.  Since I only ever saw two
birds, I assume that either the parents were spelling each other, and the
resting parent just happened to perch somewhere out of sight (not in trees on
either Franklin or 8th), or one parent has left the vicinity leaving the
youngster in the care of the other parent.

Has anyone been there since early yesterday afternoon (Friday) and seen both
adults?  Does anyone know if Mississippi Kites spell each other when
educating their young or if one parent assumes full responsibility for the
fledged offspring?

Dianne Witzell
High Point, NC
mdwitzell@aol.com