Mt. Pisgah, NC Hawkwatch -- 09/16/00

	WELCOME TO THE MOUNT PISGAH, NC HAWK WATCH REPORT -- FALL 2000

Today's Date: 16 september 2000
Hours of coverage today: 9-6 (9 hours)

Species		     Today     Season Total

Black Vulture..........2.............5
Turkey Vulture ........0.............0
Osprey 	...............0.............5
Bald Eagle ............0.............3
Northern Harrier ......1.............1
Sharp-shinned H. ......0.............3
Cooper's H. ...........0.............4
Red-shouldered H. .....0.............1
Broad-winged H. ......22...........179
Red-tailed H. .........0.............4
American Kestrel ......0............10
Merlin ................0.............0
Peregrine Falcon ......0.............0
unidentified raptors ..0.............3

TOTALS................25...........215

Note that only birds showing definite migratory movements are counted.
Many local raptors and vultures observed at the site are not mentioned
in this report.

Today's counts were made by:  Ray "Iron Man" Sharpton, Bob Wilson, Tom
Joyce, Greg Townsend, Bill Sanderson

	Today's weather was partly cloudy in the morning, becoming mostly sunny
with deep blue skies in the afternoon.  NW winds most of the day.

Quote of the day:  "They have to be someplace, but they don't have to be
here."
						Bob Wilson

Comments:  One of those really frustrating days on the watch.  The
anticipated "Big Wave" that has been washing over the northeastern
watches either swept past us, over us, or hasn't yet reached us.  Most
of the afternoon the birds were lost in the deep blue sky, the
occasional single or small group being spotted in the sun's glare where
they can't hide as effectively.  Miserable and totally unfun viewing
conditions.  Thousands of birds could have gone by unnoticed.  The
optimists of the group choose to believe that they just haven't arrived
yet.  Tomorrow may tell.  The fact that we saw few birds even with
decent cloud background is cause for hope.
	Added to the totals from yesterday is one adult Bald Eagle seen by Ray
Sharpton about 30 minutes after I left.  Rats.

	The outlook for tomorrow (I'm going to get smart and just not fill in
this part of this report any more.

	Other migrants noted today include lots of passerines, especially
Vireos (including Philadelphia).

	The watch site will be covered Sunday, Sept 17, 9 - 6  (but I reserve
the right to leave early if things go as they did today)

Reported By:
	Bill Sanderson, Site Coordinator
	Asheville, NC
	nctigers@bellsouth.net
Site Description:
	The Mount Pisgah Hawk Watch, begun in 1995, is located at the Mills
River Valley overlook, mile 404.6 on the Blue Ridge Parkway.  At an
elevation of 4085 feet, it is approx. three miles north of Mount Pisgah,
and approx. 11 miles south of the city of Asheville, NC.  The watch site
is staffed by volunteer counters on an irregular basis throughout the
fall migration season; most often on weekday afternoons and weekends,
weather permitting.  The site is handicapped friendly, and
gas/food/lodging are available at the Pisgah Inn complex, approx. three
miles south on the Parkway.  Visitors are always welcomed, and new
volunteer watchers are always needed.  Contact Bill Sanderson
(nctigers@bellsouth.net) for more information.

	The Mount Pisgah Hawk Watch is an unfunded volunteer effort.
All data obtained are submitted to the Hawk Migration Association of
North America (HMANA).  Other fall hawk watch sites in this region
include the Caesar's Head State Park Hawk Watch in upstate South
Carolina, the Mahogany Rock Hawk Watch on the Blue Ridge Parkway near
Sparta, NC and the Pilot Mountain State Park Hawk Watch in Surry County,
NC.

I am the Eagle, I live in high country,
	In rocky cathedrals that reach to the sky.
I am the Hawk, and there's blood on my feathers
	But time is still turning, they soon will be dry.
All those who see me, and all who believe in me,
	Share in the freedom I feel when I fly!
				John Denver