LGJ's in Columbia

It was a nice day for "Little Green Jobs" as I call them here in Columbia.
Probably this variation of "LBJ's" is not my invention.

I carefully checked the tall River Birch next to our house, which is easy,
since most of its leaves have fallen.  I found a new yard bird (that I
don't often see in Columbia), Tennessee Warbler.

As I continued to watch, it was joined by a couple of Ruby-crowned Kinglets,
then another Tennessee, and another, and another--4 of them in one tree!
They took off (to the west).  I checked awhile later, and a female
(or imm.?) Scarlet Tanager stopped briefly.  Two more Tennessee Warblers
flew in (from the east).  A Ruby-throated Hummingbird chased away a
Ruby-crown and settled down for awhile.  It was indeed a great day for LGJ's.

I can't get over seeing 6 Tennessee's in an hour in one tree.  It must be
related to the expected passage of a mild front.   Our first White-throated
Sparrows of the season showed up at the feeder today as well.

This is probably the same Hummer that arrived yesterday (Tuesday).  The others
all left by October 9.  It feeds often, frenetically, on our Pineapple Salvia,
Mexican Sage, and feeder.

I first realized how productive the River Birch tree was on Monday afternoon,
when I found two Black-throated Green Warblers, as well as the season's first
"Myrtle" Warblers.  Then on Tuesday, I saw my first Golden-crowned Kinglet
of the season on this same tree.  My wife has been wanting to cut it down,
but I now think it needs to stay!

Jerry Griggs    j@sc.edu
Columbia, SC