mango

If visitors want to do something useful for the kind property owner and for
the bird, I'd suggest considering purchasing some Nektar Plus.  It is the
only commercially available complete hummingbird diet that has enough
soluble protein to keep hummers alive long term.  The mango may not be able
to find sufficient insects to meet its needs for protein, and within a
couple of weeks or so it could succumb because of that.

The food MUST be changed at least once a day, preferably twice, and the
container must be scrupulously cleaned each time.  I'd suggest buying a
Nektar feeder, too, so that less food is wasted daily.  The food must be
made exactly as the directions say.

This food should NEVER be used in warm weather.  Birds around then can find
plenty of insects, and the food spoils very quickly.  But for a winter
resident who doesn't belong here, it could be a life saver.

Nektar Plus is available from:

Gunter Enderle
Tarpon Springs, FL
727-938-1544

-Janine Perlman, Ph.D.
licensed migratory bird rehabilitator, specializing in hummers

 and giving