swamp sparrow

5 miles south of Monroe, NC

This morning I saw a pair of swamp sparrows on my walk around the farm, a first for our farm.  The light was perfect, so I got a good look at the distinctive rusty shoulder patch.  I also saw a hermit thrush (not a first, but not seen very often).  These two birds were seen along a creek which runs through the farm.

I also saw the usual birds which included a pair of redtailed hawks, titmice, towhees, cardinals, a brown thrasher, chickadees, son sparrows, white throated sparrows, chipping sparrows, field  sparrows, and mockingbird.

Anne Olsen