More Granville Co. birds/Peregrine

I also did the Durham Spring Bird Count yesterday (4/27).  It was a nice day,
though migrants and butterflies were much scarcer than usual.  I found 86
species in the Knap of Reeds Creek and the Falls Lake RR bridge (north) area
- more than I've had there before, I think, which is surprising considering
the almost total lack of migrants.

Highlights were an Am. Kestrel (never dependable in spring here), a Cooper's
Hawk, a Caspian Tern, a Kentucky Warbler, and a lot of Barred Owl hooting and
hollering in the middle of the day.  The Great Blue Herons were back nesting
in their usual spot along the Veazey Road sewerline and also at a new spot on
the other side of the creek (close to the impoundment across from the
prison).  They apparently started later this year - couldn't see any chicks
popping out of the nests, though I could hear them.

In a sign of the times, I saw several small groups of Wild Turkey but missed
N. Bobwhite.

Some images from the count:
Zebra Swallowtail http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/pix/zebraswt.html
Hoary Puccoon http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/pix/lica4426.jpg
Atamasco Lily http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/pix/zeat4400.jpg

On Saturday I was driving through Burlington NC on I-40 and saw a bird I wish
I could have seen on the count -- a Peregrine Falcon!  It had a convoy of
crows and starlings after it.  The best bird I've ever seen on that stretch
of highway.

--
Charles W. "Will" Cook                  w 919-660-7423
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook            cwcook@duke.edu