Pacific Loon in Nags Head, NC

Hi folks,
Skip Morgan and I located a Pacific Loon at 4:00 this (tues) afternoon. It
was approx 150 feet off the beach in south Nags Head approx 8 tenths of a mile
south of Jennette's Pier (at E. Hargrove St.). The loon was fairly identical to
the first year bird in Sibley's. It had a dark back with little to no white
visible along the flanks, a gray head and neck, dark around the eye and a
straight bill. We could not confirm a necklace. Earlier in the day when I first
found the bird (and could not make a positive ID) I did note that it was
considerably smaller than the Common Loon that was nearby. The Pacific Loon was
reported yesterday in the same general area and two were reported the day before
that.

Jeff Lewis
Manteo, NC