Re: Warbling Vireo and Dickcissel in Orange Co again

Haven and All,

Back on 4/24 I stopped by Anilorac Farm.
I didn't see the Dickcissel, but I did see and hear a Warbling
Vireo in in one of the trees in front of the house.
I don't think anyone's reported seeing a Warbling
Vireo (or any nesting) again till your report of the
one just west of Anilorac this past weekend!

Interesting about the Dickcissels.  The field on the south side
of the road, where you mention seeing the female the other day,
sounds close to where we saw the female after their young had
fledged 2 years ago, it had dried cornstalks in it.  The nest was on the
north side of the road up from the drainage ditch close to where the male
was singing, then and where you describe it this year.
Wonder if they've been close by without being noticed by any
birders or if they've wandered back to this spot after breeding
elsewhere?

Shelley Theye

> From: R Haven Wiley <rhwiley@email.unc.edu>
> Date: 2003/07/27 Sun AM 11:41:13 EDT
> To: carolinabirds@duke.edu
> Subject: Warbling Vireo and Dickcissel in Orange Co again
>

>Warbling Vireo and Dickcissel on Dairyland Road again

>On our return from a belated MBBS route this morning, Minna and I visited
>the western end of Dairyland Road in Orange County.

>A Warbling Vireo sang repeatedly from the big trees around a house at the
>corner of Dairyland Road and Orange Grove Road, but we could not find one
>at Anilorac Farms about a half mile to the east.

>A male Dickcissel sang steadily from wires along the road just west of the
>narrow drainage west of Anilorac Farms (although it subsequently flew a
>long ways westward), and we spotted a female in the field on the south
>side of the road.

>A Grasshopper Sparrow sang in this field also. And a Song Sparrow sang
>along the drainage, a true country Song Sparrow, unlike the usual birds in
>towns here at the edge of the species' range.

>Haven Wiley
>Carrboro

Shelley Theye
N. Chatham County, NC