Re: Early Lincoln's Sparrows

On Fri, 5 Sep 2003, Russ Tyndall wrote:

> (For example, both Western Kingbird and Snow Bunting were seen in Ocracoke
> Village on the day I was born --- if not for Avendex, how would I ever know
> this?)

Well, heck, Russ must have had better timing than I did. When I was born,
there was nothing more exciting going on than a nesting colony of Black-
necked Stilts on Onslow Beach. Guess that's what I get for being an out-
of-towner... But hey, on my 11th birthday there was a Sandhill Crane at
Jordan Lake! And on my 29th, a Shiny Cowbird at Fort Fisher. And the year
before last a Patteson pelagic found a Herald Petrel, I should have bought
myself a pelagic trip for my birthday... Maybe next year.

Good birding,

Josh

Joshua S. Rose
Duke University