Re: Early Lincoln's Sparrows

--- Russ Tyndall <fitzbew@redshanksoftware.com> wrote:
> This is a sterling example of why Avendex came into
> being: to provide users
> at least some historical context for their current
> bird sightings. Prior to
> Avendex, such context was very difficult (or even
> impossible) to obtain for
> our two states.

Um, it was a piece of cake to obtain in SC: one simply
needed to buy book(s) - "Status and Distribution of
South Carolina Birds" by Post and Gauthreaux and
perhaps "Supplement to Status and Distribution of SC
Birds" by Post and McNair.  Before that, "South
Carolina Bird Life" by Sprunt & Chamberlain did the
trick.

"Status ..." provides early & late dates broken down
by Coastal Plain/Piedmont/Mountains, info on early &
late egg dates (very useful), habitat type, maximum
counts, info on how common a species is as a vagrant,
in spring/fall migration & as a breeder, subspecies
info (ie Wayne's BT-Green Warbler), info + dates on
who submitted reports of rarities and what type of
supporting documentation accompanied the report,
recent or historical range expansions/declines,
identification caveats, and much more.

Incidentally, there are a LOT of records (recent and
ancient) in "Status..." and the Supplement that don't
appear in Chat records and presumably in Avendex.  The
reverse is also true, but I think there was a higher
standard for inclusion in "Status", etc.

Nathan Dias - Charleston, SC

PS It is getting harder to find copies of "Status..."
though it is still possible.  The Supplement is
readily available.