Storm Birding

Hi,
Several trips to the beach before and after the storm have been uneventful.
There is not the devastating number of dead birds on the beach as was the
case of Dennis.  I got only 2 shearwaters into wildlife rehabilitation.  A
Cory's shearwater and petrel were found dead on the beach and saved for
NCMNS.

It was depressing on Friday to find so few of the resident feeder
passerines.  Most seem to have returned by today.  Went to work at helping
rebuild the Ocracoke Pony Pens this A.M.  That has always been a good
birding spot.  Few of the shore and wading birds were seen.  The beach-for
the entire island- has changed topography and geography.  The rookery at
Horsepen point seems to have survived-fair.  Springer's Point is OK but
nothing unusual.  South point is flat-not flooded- as is almost the entire
beach.

Saw very few "wire birds" from what road we now have.  Poles down at the
north end.  On the wires were a few Crows, A Kingfisher and several morning
doves.

The village and folks are all fine.  Just can't find the birds.
Elizabeth Hanrahan
Wildlife Rehabilitator
State & Federal Permits
Ocracoke, NC