yard BTGW and forgotten birds

Hi C-birders,

I was starting to get into the winter frame of mind with all the kinglets,
sparrows, and such arriving. But just had a Black-throated Green Warbler
outside the window of my home office here, watched while sitting at my
desk; guess migration's still going...

Left one item off yesterday's Ellerbe report. While showing ECWA's new
intern the Ellerbe beaver marsh, we spotted at least four Wild Turkeys in
the woods along Club Boulevard! Not bad for downtown. We were speculating
whether this was the same pair we had observed here back in May, plus
grown turklets, or just a quartet (or more) of nonbreeding, unrelated
loiterers.

Also, I don't think I mentioned that Airlie and I rented a little sailboat
and floated around Lake Wheeler for our anniversary last Monday. One bird
of note then, an American Coot mixed in with a huge mass of bread-begging
Mallards, Canada Geese, and barnyard refugees. Could this Coot have
summered here with the water rats, or is just the first migrant arrival?

Good birding,

Josh

Joshua S. Rose
Duke University