more plant-shopping

Hi again,

On one of those we're-about-to-have-a-baby-and-won't-be-able-to-get-out-
anymore whims, Airlie and I headed to Niche Gardens (southwest of Chapel
Hill) today. Turns out they're having an end-of-season, 20% off everything
sale! And as with the NC Botanical Garden, Niche Gardens has many plants
which provide food for birds, whether nectar, berries, seeds, pollinating
insects, or foliage-eating insects. See
http://www.nichegdn.com/
for catalog and contact info. THeir catalog has little icons by each plant
to indicate which are good for attracting birds, which for butterflies,
and various other qualities.

The NCBG sale, which I mentioned yesterday, has information on-line at
http://www.ncbg.unc.edu/sources.htm

For folks not in driving range of these, I've put together quite a list of
nurseries specializing in native and wildlife-friendly plants on the
website of the Duke Natural History Society
http://www.biology.duke.edu/dnhs/
under "Online Resources". 31 places now on there, though only 11 in North
Carolina and two in South, and three of the NC nurseries are wholesale
only. The others all do mail-order though.

I spent four hours this morning in hand-to-hand combat with Chinese
Wisteria at Rocky Creek Park in Durham. Not many birds would come very
close, given that my friends and I were wielding axes and machetes and
such, but a Red-shouldered Hawk serenaded from not far away, and the
Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers were chasing back and forth through the woods.
And we sure made some big piles of chopped Wisteria...

GOod birding,

Josh

Joshua S. Rose
Duke University