[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Daytime running lights

In article <408af2$km@Mars.mcs.com>, fuzzy@MCS.COM says...

>Paul Lu <CindyLu@Mindspring.com> writes:
>
>>Oh, I hate that stupid DRL. It's worse than the 55 mph speed limit.
>>Let it NOT become law! I will hold onto purchase of STS until GM
>>drop the push for DRL. Just me, but I am not alone.
>
>Oh my god! Those daytime running lights are burning my eyes out! They're so
>bright! I can't see!!! HELP, I'M BLIND!!!!! Oh, wait, that's the sun I'm
>staring at. Shit.

   More seriously, living in Canada, where DRL have been mandatory for
a few years now, they usually are not that bad. But some manufaturers
uses the hi-beams as DRL and that can be very annoying at dawn, at
dusk or on days where there's a very thick layer of clouds.

   On a sunny day though, you see cars with DRL much sooner. When DRL
were introduced, the effect was quite noticable. on a 4 or 6 lanes
freeway, it's very noticable when an oncoming car don't have DRL. When
it's side to side with a DRL equiped cars, you notice it a few seconds
later.

   Now, if they could only desing a DLR system that's less annoying when
ambiant light is low...

   BTW, Saturn uses bright front parking light as DRL. I think it's a
better idea since they're less annoying (they're yellowish) and at
least as much noticeable.

--
Alain Southiere              | My employers couldn't care less about what
asouthie@volvox.qc.ca (work) | I write here. Even if they did, they'd

Follow-Ups: References: