[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Daytime running lights

In article <408n08$ahu@nnrp3.primenet.com>, gribble@primenet.com writes:
|> Nice of you to complelety miss the point.  You are just like all the other
|> mindless DRL supporters.  Never mind if it works you say; who cares what the
|> studies show, it seems like a good idea so it must be one!!!
|>
|> Just how far away can another car be from you for you to still be able to
|> smash into it???  Why is it some safety advantage that you can see a car with
|> DRLs 6000 feet away from you while only being able to see one without DRLs
|> when it's 4000 feet away??  Are your reaction times that slow that you need a
|> 4000 foot advance warning??  Or to put it another way, how close does another
|> car have to be to you before it is within range of being a hazard?  300 feet??
|> Do you REALLY need a car to have it's lights on in daytime to see it when it's
|> 300 feet away??  What has been the accident invovlement rate of motorcyles now
|> that they are lost in a sea of DRLs?  What has been Canada's expericance in
|> terms of ALL accidents, including rear-enders caused by people who's eyes were
|> focused on that car 3000 feet away with the pretty DRLs while they smashed
|> into the back of the car stopping in front of them??
|>
|> The bottom line remains, DRLs have NOT be demonstrated to be of any long term
|> benefit.  Conversely, there IS evidence to suggest that the use of DRLs, while
|> not significantly lowering any accident rates actaully INCREASE the rate of
|> rear end collisions.
|>
|> But go ahead and ignore the EVIDENCE and be guided by your intutition if that
|> makes you feel good.

HAVE YOU EVER DRIVEN ON A CANADIAN HIGHWAY WITH MOST OF THE CARS EQUIPPED WITH
DRLs? Have you ever driven on a 2-lane highway where you have to occupy the
on-coming traffic lane to overtake? Have you ever encountered some jerks who
forgets to turn on their head lights at night?

If your answer to these 3 questions are YES, then I don't understand why you
would disagree with the introduction of DRL. Especially the 3rd question
above, if someone drives a car equipped with DRL, even if he forgets to turn
on his headlights, he still has a dimmed version of headlights so other
drivers can see his car.

--
Isaac Wong | Protel Compiler Group | Bell-Northern Research Ltd.
Dept. of Systems and Computer Engineering | Carleton University

Follow-Ups: References: