[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: NMA STUDY

In article <3v1f6b$idk@news-e1a.megaweb.com> kennystar@megaweb.com (KENNY MORSE) writes:

>Jaime was kind enough to send me the TIGNOR/WARREN study, and,
>as I thought, their assertion that "If speed limits were raised to more
>realistic levels, would drivers automatically drive 5-10 mph over the
>new speed limit as is commonly believed? The answer is no.  Raising
>the speed by various amounts up to 15 mph has little or no effect
>on speeds over a broad range of road types and speed levels".

>This is misleading BULLSHIT.

Why do you swear at and insult those who you disagree with?

>This is nonsense..... and conclusions WERE drawn in the study that
>standing on a highway over 24 hours at 102 sites in 23 states before and
>one year after a speed change took place, concluded that "Driver
>compliance with speed limits was poor".

>THAT tells you that no matter where and what the speed limit set,
>people STILL did NOT comply.  THAT is EXACTLY my experience
>for the past 8 years.  The study as written, contradicts it's own conclusions.

Let me put this simply:

1. Speed may or may not be a factor in highway safety.  For purposes of
discussion, let's grant it is.

2. The Tignor/Warren study found that speed limits have little effect on the
speeds people actually drive at.

3. If speed limits do not affect actual driving speeds, they cannot have a
significant effect on highway safety.

4. If the purpose of speed limits is highway safety, they are a failure.
However, speed limits are a success in other ways.  You have only to follow
the money to see what these ways are.  Governments, insurance companies, and
traffic schools all profit from traffic laws that create lawbreakers.  Is it
any wonder that these three groups are among the loudest proponents of low
speed limits?