You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Jun 2003

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00027 Jun 2003

Jun 2003 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

SvabhAnu Vrushabha Maasam, Sukla paksha ThridhIyai,
VaikAsi VisAkam , June 12,2003

SrI:

Dear BhakthAs :

We shall focus in this post on the importance of
Sudarsana BhagavAn at this Dhivya Desam. The Sudarsana
Sannidhi here is a celebrated one with a lot of PrArthanais.
A friend advised me that Sudarsanar at ThirumOhUr
is very dear to travellers on the roads with vehicles
(Truckers) since Sudarsanar is recognized and worshipped
here as "Maarga Bhandhu"( Companion/Protector for those
on the Road: Maarga SahAyan ) . ThirumOhUr is on
the national highway and seems to be a favorite
dhivya Desam of those , who are on the road quite
often and need protection.

Sudarsana Bhagavan as Maarga bhandhu
************************************
Sudarsanar is the Sankalpa Sakthi (Power of
Volition) of the Lord .Once the Lord of ThirumOhUr
has decided on conferring the boon of travel on
the Road of the devAs (archirAdhi maargam/DevayAna pathway)
to His Supreme abode , then it is the duty of Sudarsanar
to light the way for the travel and protect the one ,
who has surrenderd to the Lord ; on behalf
of His Lord Sudarsana protects the Prapannan
until that Prapanna arrives safely at
the Supreme abode of His Lord , SrI Vaikuntam.
That ArchirAdhi Maargam is the ParamAm Gathi (Supreme
route and means). It is the supreme Pantha ( most sacred
Vazhi/road ).In the context of Purusha Sooktham , it is the
safe and secure route for deliverance from
the cycles of births and deaths .There are no
other routes (naanya: PanthA ayanAya vidhyathE)
to achieve the PurushArTam of Moksham.

Whenever we start on our travels, we utter the name of
the Lord as "Kesava" to protect us from any dangers on
the Road of travel towards our goal. One has to remember
the SrI VishNu Sahasra Naamam line in this context:
" Naarasimha Vapu: SrImAn Kesava : PurushOtthama:"
Kesavan is one of the 12 Sub-VyUha Moorthys. He adorns for
our protection Four Sudarsanams in each of His (four) hands .
The One empowering Sudarshanan is thus recognized as
the PurushOtthaman having the Man-Lion form ( Naarasimha Vapu:).
That Lord Narasimhan in Yoga pose coexists with Sudarsana
Moortham in archA form is well known. The tatthvam behind
the joint appearance of Lord Narasimahn and Sudarsana
in archa form has been discussed brilliantly by SrI MuraLI
Rangaswamy in one of the postings in SaraNAgath Journal
( Volume I.Issue 8, Nov 29, 1997) with the URL:

http://www.Srivaishnava.org/sgati

Thus Sudarsana-Narasimhan is thus the Maarga Bhandhu for
not only the truckers/lorry drivers but also in
His KaalamEgha Archaa form is the Aapath Sahayan
( One who rushes to our help during dangers on
the road to deliverance ) as Sarva Loka Rakshakan
( Unfailing Protector of all beings in the Universe ,
when they seek His protection).That is why , Swamy
NammAzhwAr declares with certitude in the very
first Paasuram of ThirumOhUr that there is NO ONE
ELSE AVAILABLE AS PROTECTOR ON THE WAY TO SRI VAIKUNTAM
EXCEPT KAALAMEGA PERUMAAL ( " KaalamEgatthai anRi maRRu
onRilam gathiyE" ).Therefore , when you are at
the dhivya desam of ThirumOhUr next time , please offer
your salutations FIRST to that Sarva Loka SaraNyan,
Lord KaalamEgan , who is waiting to respond to our
Prapatthi and NEXT to His Sankalpa Sakthi,
Lord Sudrsanar for carrying out His Lord's
command (niyamanam)in a mood of thanks-giving .

In the next posting , we will study the Paasurams
of Swamy NammazhwAr on ThirumOhUr KaaLamEgan .

Prapanna Jana SanthAna KootastharAna
Swamy NammAzhwAr ThiruvadigaLE SaraNam ,
Daasan , Oppiliappan Koil VaradAchAri SadagOpan

Home Page
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia
oppiliappan-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
To subscribe to the list