You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Nov 2003

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00076 Nov 2003

SrI:

Dear Swamy  Desika BhakthAs:

We will now enjoy  Four more   Paasurams of Amrutha SvAdhini
Prabhandham  . These Desika Prabhandha Paasurams ( 126-129 )
deal with the two ChillaRai Rahasyams of Saara Sangraham
(Paasuram 126) and VirOdha ParihAram ( Paasurams 127-129).

Saara Sangraham
*************
This Rahasyam instructs us on the essential topics that a Mumukshu
( One desiring Moksham ) should be clear about . Some of these are:

(1) The need for ParamiakAnthis to reject those who seek lesser
gods for insignificant phalans (2) Three Tatthvams (3) Three Rahasyams
(4) the guNams of Prakruthi (5) The anantha kalyANa guNams  of
BhagavAn (6) The relationship between Jeevan and BhagavAn
(7) The UpAyams of Bhakthi and Prapatthi for Moksham
(8) Ultimate goal of Life/ PurushArTam  (9) The Duties of AchAryan ,
Iswaran and Sishyan (10) The fruits of the conviction that the Jeevan
is the sEshan (Servant /liege) for the Sarva sEshi (Master of All).

Swamy Desikan distills the essence of Saara Sangraham in one
powerful Paasuram dealing with SaraNAgathy Tatthvam . This
Paasuram is recited by SrI VaishNavAs  daily since it is a fantastic
summary of SaraNAgathy with its five angams.The 341st Desika
Prabhandham describes the details about the five angams of
SaraNAgathy.

Line by Line Meaning of 126th Paasuram
********************************
(1) The first line of the Paasuram consisting of eight lines
deals with the angam of KaarPaNyam:

" ninnaruLAm gathi anRi maRRu onRu illEn "

Oh Lord ! I do not have any recourse (gathi) other than Your
aruL (Krupai) .

(2) The second line deals with PrAthikoolya Varjanam ( the vow to
discard acts that go against the Saasthrams of BhagavAn ):

" nedum kAlam pizhai seytha nilai kazhinthEn "

I have now arrived at the stage of freedom from the trespasses
made by me over aeons.

(3)The third line deals with Aanukoolya Sankalpam ( Vow to engage only
in those activiites that please the Lord).

" UnnaruLukku inithAna nilai uhanthEn "

I have sought the path of Prapatthi that will lead to gaining Your Krupai.

(4) The Fourth line relates to MahA ViswAsam ( the Great Faith in the Lord
as the unfailing Protector).

" Unn SaraNE SaraNN yennum thuNivu pooNDEn "

I developed total faith in Your sacred feet as my only protection.

(5 & 6) The 5th and the 6th lines cover gOpthruva VaraNam ,
the 4th angam of SaraNAgathy .

" ManniruLAi  ninRa nilai yenakkut-teertthu
  Vaanavar tamm vAzcchi tara varithEn Unnai "

I have chosen You as my Protector to banish this current state of
my firm ajn~Anam and grant me the glorious life led by Nithya Sooris
at Your Supreme Abode.

(7&8) The 7th and 8th lines of this Paasuram deal with the Aathma SamarpaNam
.

" inn aruLAl ini yenakku ohr bharam yERRAmal
  yenn ThirumAl adaikkalam koLL yennai NeeyE "

Oh My  Master , SrIman NaarAyaNaa! Through Your
abundant and sweet Krupai, please accept me as an object
to be protected by You and free me from any foolish thought of
protecting myself .

127) Gaining tranquility of Mind through Bhagavath Kaimkaryam
Paasurams 127-129 summarize selected doctrines covered in
the 27th chillaRai Rahasyam of  VirOdha ParihAram dealing with
the doubts that arise in the understanding of the three rahasyams
by the Mumukshus. The Rahasyam is set in the form of Questions
and answers to 108 doubts that cross the mind of the Mumukshus.

VirOdha ParihAram is organized  along four topics : Moola ManthrAdhikAram ,
DhvayAdhikAram , Charama SlOkAdhikAram and NigamanAdhikAram.
Swamy  Desikan answers 80 possible doubts of a Mumukshu about
Moola Manthram ; 10 doubts on Dhvyam , 10 sandEhams about
Charama slOkam and 8 doubts about general matters are answered by
Swamy  Desikan  in VirOdha ParihAram.

( Meaning of the 127th Paasuram ) :The entire Vedam salute the glories of
the sacred feet of the Lord . That Lord as PaarTasArathy used His Sudarsana
chakram to bring in night during day time at Kuru KshEthram in the middle of
BhAratha Yuddham . Periya Thiruvadi ( Garudan) and ThiruvananthAzhwAn
(AadhisEshan), who are natural enemies , perform Kaimkaryam to His sacred
feet  with great devotion .This is VirOdha ParihAram in acrtion. Our Lord
has
given us the firmness of purpose to perform Kaimkaryam to His holy feet
and has blessed us with His sacred feet worshipped by the Nithya sooris.

128) The Vaibhavam of AchArya RaamAnuja: Conversation between Two
The converstion between two BhakthAs devoted to AchArya RaamAnujA
sitting on the banks of a pond is the Question and answer format
for this Paasuram .

( One ) : The Swan in this pond is sitting on the lotus flower but it does
not taste the honey inside that flower .It does not imitate the gait of
beautiful women ,which it likes to do . It appears weak and famished .
My friend ! What could be the reason ?

(Other) : I know the answer. It is grief stricken over losing its pride.

(One): What could that be ? What did it lose ? Please explain.

(Other): Swans have the capacity to separate water from Milk. This Swan
has lost that power , which makes it proud and hence it is sorrowful .

( One): That power was bequeathed to the Swans by Brahma Devan .
Why would this Swan lose it ?

(Other) : I will tell you why. Many  deluded ones thinking that they were
experts in SaasthrAs came to debate RaamAnujA. Our AchAryan
defeated them all in fair debates and roared that he will meet with
any kudrushti , who wants to debate with him on the impeccable
doctrines of VisishtAdvaitham. As a result of his many victories ,
AchArya RaamAnujA's fame spread like the white hue of  conch.
That fame with white color spread all over the world and made all
matters that it came in to contact with a white hue . Thus all the waters of
the world became white. As a result , there was no need anymore for
the skills of the Swan to separate the water from the milk .
This unique skill made the Swan until then proud became irrelevant .
Now , the  Swan is sad over loss of this fame. Blemishless indeed is
the glory of RaamAnujA ! Hail to Him !

129) Inability to recieve the essential meanings from other Gods
Saasthrams state that a SaamAnya adhikAri can obtain Jn~Anam from
Lord Siva by pleasing Him with worship. Even if such an adhikAri
gets abundant Jn~Anam form Lord SivA , they would still not have gained
the quintessential meanings ( SaarArTams) of the Rahasyams. These
SaarArTams can be acquired only through the UpadEsam route from
SadAchAryAs , who have the BhAgyam of the auspicious glances of
Lord KrishNa on them . We have learnt these SaarArTams from
such blessed AchAryAs.

Swamy  Desikan ThiruvadigaLE SaraNam ,
Daasan , Oppiliappan Koil VaradAchAri SadagOpan

Srimate Sri Laksminrisimha Divya Paduka Sevaka
SrivaNN Satakopa Sri Narayana Yatindra Mahadesikaya Nama:

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/XUWolB/TM