You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Feb 2004

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00072 Feb 2004

--- In ramanuja@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "apramanujam" <apramanujam@xxxx>
wrote:
> > Our Ramanuja Sampradhayam emphasizes Seshathvam and
> Parathanthriyam and also "Melaiyar seivangal". A Seshan cannot ask
> questions nor he cannot do researches on the statements of his
>master.
> (this is against our Sampradhayam). so all we need to do is to
>follow
> simply.

Dear Sriman Ramanujam,

If people know the "why" of it, they will be happier to follow. Many
youngsters and elders are going away only because of not being
convinced and informed.

>If we start doing this way, then the future
> generations will come with more questions such as "what is
scientific
> reason for doing Thiruvaradhanam, why should I go to temple as
> Perumal is there in my heart as Antharyami etc. etc."

ThiruvArAdhanam also may (SV) people are not doing. Again SEshatva
buddhi is important. nammALwar says "Thozhudhu mAmalar... " in
thiruvAimozhi where he tells us that Lord Himself does not expect us
to offer garland, water, lamp etc and is devising His own ways to
uplift us reclining on the serpent. We have to do it ONLY out of
SEshatva buddhi and love for Him. There is no harm if one does not
do. We have the example of ThiruvArAdhanam of AchArya Bhattar.
Some people living in Triplicane limit their ThiruvArAdhanam to
lighting lamp, offering food and take part in the procession during
brahmOtsavams. Any kainkaryam in the temple also needs to be done in
the mood of bhAgavata kainkaryam (primary anushtAnam), I heard from
my AchArya.

AlwArs say "ozhivinnitthirumUzhikkaratthuraium oN Sudarai" in
thiruvAimozhi, which means He is there eternally in the divya dESam
(much before taking incarnation as archA there). At the same time, we
offer flowers, water, lamp etc. to His image out of our SEshatva
buddhi. Also we are not capable of doing it over the entire universe
considering Him to be viSvAtmA.

In my humble opinion, if the rationale behind a few practices is
explained, there will be only faith in perumAL and no superstitions.

adiyEn rAmAnuja dAsan
Vishnu

Home Page
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia