You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Mar 2003

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00078 Mar 2003

Mar 2003 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Srimathe Ramanujaya Namaha
Dear All,
I am sorry to have posted on this subject at all. I sincerely
apologize for the post. Dear Soundararajan, all my intent was that
everyone should be encouraged to recite things in the right way. My
intent was not to discourage those who are reciting it wrong by
mistake....

Yatheendra Pravanam Vandhe RAMYA Jamataram Munim

Adiyen Ramanuja Dasan,
Lakshmi Narasimhan

{Moderator's note:
dear srI. lakshmi narasimhan - you need not feel sorry to have posted
at all. I think it is a good discussion where we all exchange our ideas;
and that is the purpose of the group - where all ramanuja followers
can congregate and have discussions. Please do continue posting your
views/opinions. }

--- In ramanuja@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Srinivasaramanujan TCA <tcasr@xxxx>
wrote:
> Respected Srivaishnavas,
> Regarding perceived errors in recitation of Divya
> Prabandham, we are rightly reassured with citation of,
>
> Eng'ane sollilum inbam
> payakkume'[Tiruva'imozhi-7-9-11].
> I'du Muppatta'ra'yiram has an anecdote. During a
> recitation by Araiyars in Srirangam, some desciples
> commented on what they thought incorrect chanting. Sri
> Parasara Bhattar told them,
> "Tangal' anba'rat tamdusol valatta'l talait talai
> sirandu pu'sippa
> [Tiruva'imozhi 9-2-8].
> [They chanted with their devotion ACCORDING TO THEIR
> ABILITY TO EXPRESS]
> Sri Bhattar stressed on the word TAMADU SOL
> VALAM[their capacity to express] to allow for
> individual variations.
> I'd'u also says that the first line in Tiruva'imozhi
> 7-2-2
> En tirumagal' ser ma'rbane ennum
> Ennudai a'viye ennum
> [She says He has Lakshmi in His heart; she says He is
> her very life]
> is usually recited with pauses after ennum[will say];
> once, it was recited without pause after ma'rbane,
> making the meaning as
> "She says He who has Lakshmi in His heart is her very
> life"
> This elision is mentioned in I'du with approval.
> The great Prativadi Bhayankaram Annangaracharya Swami
> has written that the line in Periyazhwar Tirumozhi
> 4-9-2,
> "Ennadiyar adu seyya'r seida're'l nandru seida'r enbar
> po'lum"
> [Presumably He will say, my devotees will not do like
> that; but if they did so, they would have done the
> right]
> can be split as
> "Ennadi? ya'r adu seyya'r?
> [So what? Who will not do so?]
> Adiyen,TCASrinivasaramanujan
> Dr.Kilambi Ramakrishna Ramanuja Dasan
>
> vimalkumar ranganathan wrote:
>
> > Respected Adiyaars,
> >
> > I have a huge doubt.
> Even though tamil
> is my mother tongue, I still have issues in
> understanding the meanings
> of most of the Prabandhams. Well, if understanding the
> basic, flat
> meaning is itself a problem as such, what about the
> subtle, deep,
> philosophical truth hidden in each verse of the
> Prabandham??
> >
> > How should one chant
> the Prabandham?? Is
> it ok, if he chants it without knowing the meaning as
> such. And what
> about pronunciation mistakes?? Am I right if I say
> that it is an offense
> if we make mistakes when we chant the pasurams, as it
> is tantamount to
> insulting the Azhwars??
>
> --- ramanuja@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >
> > azhwAr emberumAnAr jeeyAr thiruvadigalE saranam

> [...]
__

__

> > Message: 1
> > Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 21:34:21 +0530
> > From: "Rama Krishna K"
> > <kramakrishna@xxxx>
> > Subject: Re: [SriRangaSri] Chanting of the
> > Prabandham the best possible way
> >
> > Priya Bhagawatas,
> > We are all tiniest of the kids and remain so
> > throughout our life in front of Lord
> > Srimannarayana and Nityasoori brundam. Just as a
> > mother not only excuses her child but enjoys its
> > talking with loss of clarity, grammar,
> > pronunciation etc., Perumal and His parivaaram enjoy
> > our chanting and excuse us for our mistakes while
> > chanting the Divya Prabandham or any stothram; but
> > it is
> > our duty to ask for the apologies at the end for
> > our ignorance like "Mantraheenam, kriya heenam
> > Bhaktiheenam Janardhana.................and
> > Yadakshara padabrahstam maatra heenantu yadbhaveth
> > tatsarvam kshamya ta devam naarayana namostutey."
> > But from time to time we also should put some
> > efforts to correct ourselves slowly. Thus instead
> > of not chanting at all on the pretext of
> > possible errors, it is better to continue chanting
> > and ask for apologies at the end, as nobody what
> > ever experienced one may be cannot guarantee 100%
> > accuracy in chanting
> >
> > Jai Srimannarayana
> >
> > Dr.Kilambi Ramakrishna Ramanuja Dasan
> >
> > vimalkumar ranganathan wrote:
> >
> > > Respected Adiyaars,
> > >
> > > I have a huge doubt.
> > Even though tamil is my mother tongue, I still have
> > issues in understanding the meanings of most of the
> > Prabandhams. Well, if understanding the basic, flat
> > meaning is itself a problem as such, what about the
> > subtle, deep, philosophical truth hidden in each
> > verse of the Prabandham??
> > >
> > > How should one chant
> > the Prabandham?? Is it ok, if he chants it without
> > knowing the meaning as such. And what about
> > pronunciation mistakes?? Am I right if I say that it
> > is an offense if we make mistakes when we chant the
> > pasurams, as it is tantamount to insulting the
> > Azhwars??
> > >
> > > Sometimes, I do get the
> > meaning, but still am prone to making errors. For
> > example, thanks to Sri Madhavakkannan, I now know
> > the meaning of "Thiruppallandu", but still I have
> > confusions in the last word of each paragraph, I
> > donno when to say "Pallandu KURUVANE" or "Pallandu
> > KURUDHUME" or "Pallandu KURUMINE". Is it an offense
> > when I mix and match them??
> > >
> > > Sometimes, when I chant
> > the Pasurams, my mind just wanders, thinking of very
> > very trivial mundane things, thinking of anything
> > but Perumal. Am I a sinner??
> > >
> > > I request the elders
> > and the cognizant in the list to kindly address my
> > queries.
> > >
> > > AzhwAr EmperumanAr Jeeyar Thiruvadigale Saranam.
> > >
> > > Dasan,
> > >
> > > Kidambi Soundararajan.

> > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

> > removed]