Re: [compost_tea] Health & Safety Spraying Tea

From: Ted Peterson <ted.peterson_at_tcsn.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 21:24:52 -0800

Anthracnose is a fungal disease that infects many types of shade trees. It=
 is rarely fatal but can be unsightly. Most trees show leaf damage, twig d=
ieback and bud/sprout dieoff. There are several chemical controls that wil=
l fight the disease but to me, this is like using an abomb to get rid of an=
ts.

Because of the nature of compost tea, there is no chance of overspray hurti=
ng anyone. Now, 12 metres is about 38 feet and that's a lot of tree to tea=
 without a lot of overspray. You're going to need a pretty hefty sprayer. =
You probably want at least a seventy percent coverage on the leaf. This is=
 the recommended coverage for grape vines to prevent powerdy mildew and I c=
an assure you that it works for grapes.

Tradition says that the best way to get rid of the stuff is to cut back the=
 infected parts, thin the healthy parts to improve air flow and continually=
 rake under the tree so that dead material doesn't help spread the disease.

Now, you may want to look into getting some really high-quality fungal base=
d compost and put it all around the tree. 1 or 2 inches with a diamater ab=
out 4 feet past the drip line should be fine but I'll check to make sure an=
d repost if I am wrong. Soil soak the tree with tea also.

If you can create a healthy soil food web for the tree, the tree will have =
a much better chance of fighting off the disease on its own. This is a dis=
ease usually associated with the spring and since I am in the Northern hemi=
sphere figure you must be south of the equator. Correct me if I am wrong. =

Ted Peterson
Earth-Wise/Spirit of the Earth