[compost_tea] confused and alarmed

From: Linda <wormwomantwo_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 15:46:48 -0000

Group,

I'm really rather stunned by the number of posters and MANUFACTURERS
of systems that have absolutely no plant background. Often posts read
like engineering schemes without even the most basic gardening and
fertilization knowledge. Is that bad? After all this is a forum for
the promotion and growth of least toxic methods of farming and
gardening. I'm not intending to be critical of beginners learning new
methods. I am concerned about those new to gardening commercially
jumping on board without a basic ag/hort background. I just joined to
learn more and can't help but am amazed by the "flag waving" and lack
of knowledge. Often posters present tea as a "wonder drug". If our
farm manager ever showed up with a bill for a bob-a-lator in a
garbage can I would be affronted. If the goal is to make systems
available to the masses and encourage the growth of ACT why don't one
of you post the building plans. Why not? Because the list of
manufacturers is quickly becoming a list of film flam artists
and "anybody can be a farmer" types.

This grumbling about cleaning 90-degree angles is particularly
hysterical. After many years of cleaning milk equipment I just don't
see the issue. Making claims about a machine being easier to clean
and then not posting any REAL data, is film flam. I go to sites this
group has directed others to and all I find is a preoccupation with
AF and TF. No protozoa counts, no nutrient cycling data or plant
available N, no nematode counts, just partial testing with no full
reports which would show the real value of the tea. What's the point
of high fungi with high ciliates. What's the point of tea without the
other components? What's the value of multiple associations and this
groupie atmosphere that seems to be developing?

I will be joining the "other" Assn, simply to try to find a balance.
Many of the "leaders " in the use of CT use a machine considered as a
poor tea maker. Do we really believe there is only one lab that holds
the key to success with CT?

It's time for a straight up dialogue without the Ad Hominem attacks.
Who will step up and take the risks of sharing real usable
information rather than veiled sales pitches?

Publish a plan and a recipe, take the risk, show us how to get there
diredtly without the innuendo.

<retreating to my bunker to dodge the bullets>

Linda

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511