RE: [compost_tea] Looking for good fungal sources for Tea

From: Mike Bosko <mjbosko_at_jmtsystems.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 14:40:45 -0800

This brings up one of those questions that have been bouncing around in
my mind while tending my several large compost heaps.

We hear a lot about using oat flour/meal, newspaper, cardboard to grow
fungi and possibly other critters. Its my understanding that these are
only the foods and surfaces to provide for a better growing environment.
Is this correct? They don't actually harbor the microbs and/or their
spores, right? Or do they? In other words, are adding these
ingredients actually inoculating our composts?

The question, below, by mrmagoo303 has been touched a few times, and
answered similar to how Bob just had. Magoo is looking for good fungal
sources, and the reply was to pretreat compost with oat flour and kelp,
add heat, walah. Makes me wonder then, does the oat flour have the
fungi/spores in it?

Not picking on your answer Bob, in any way - its been a question of mine
after reading similar responses to this question. As I've been adding a
lot more corrugated cardboard, newspapers to many of my heaps - and a
bit of baby oatmeal to others - Its been in my mind to ask.

(being that I made such an ass of myself in a prior post (grin), I'd
like to add a legitamate question if I may... )

I know I've read the answer to this somewhere... archives, CTBmanual,
... but can't seem to find where.

thx