Re: [compost_tea] Re: do meter????

From: Robert Norsen <bnbrew_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 12:51:41 -0800 (PST)

Good SFI tested compost arrived stinky to the customer?
Why would this happen? Sampling? Sample the compost, several samples taken near the surface, Excellent. Dig to the middle of the pile that sat too long in pile or enroute or at destination, not enough air? The fresher, richer the compost the greater the hazard. Like TEA, active compost always needs air to be aerobic. Compost would be harder to keep evenly aerobic than ACT.

Solution? Air pumps? Injection into the pile? More turning? Aerated enroute? Continued Aeration at destination? Compost needs to be more mature? More mature means the food has been converted to microbes. Most of the microbes have become dormant for lack of food?

One advantage of ACT; it is easier to keep aerated thruout. ACT still needs GOOD compost as a starting condition.

We found the hardest part of making good compost was the economics. Municiple composters collect "yard waste" with city funding, compost with city funding, have more compost to get rid of than they can find places to put it so it is on the market below cost. Nearly f ree. Good quality? Not very. Not good starting materials. But it is out there setting the market value of compost to the point of poor /no economic return to a composter using better start materials, doing a good job, making a valuable product.

Didn't find a way past this problem Had really great compost being made by a dedicated guy. Now looking for a source of good compost.

Users have to be willing to pay what it costs to make what seems like waste, into valuable stuff. Looking at the results of using compost and ACT, GOOD Compost is a true bargain at any price. Bob .

tomjasz <tom_at_livesoil.com> wrote:
I no longer consider this to be an acurate statement. I have SFI
results of some of the nastiest smelling composts ever delivered to
our site that have tested as being good compost. It stunk up the
entire project for 3 days!!!!

I think it's naive to believe we can go on with out a standard
methodoly for testing during the process.

How else are we going to impact the regulators?

--- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, "Kirk Leonard" <kirk_at_o...> wrote:
> Compost teas are inherently safe if you have a nose.
>
> -- Kirk

Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT