Re: [compost_tea] Re: fungal

From: <soilfoodweb_at_aol.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 13:56:51 EDT

Titel -

You are in a HIGH pressure mildew area. the weather you get most every year
is perfect for severe outbreaks of mildew.

The Willamette Valley is pretty much the same situation as you are.

In general the mildew alert from the University goes out about June 7. that
means disease "pressure" is so high that if you are not using some means to
prevent mildew, your plants will have more than the necessary load of spores on
them, AND conditions are right for those spores to germinate and grow.

Generally, from budswell on, the spores have been spreading and landing on
your plants, so you need to start the protection at budswell. Monthly
applications until the mildew alert goes out, and then start applying each two weeks.
About two to three weeks before color-change, or fruit-ripening, start weekly
applications. After color-change, or fruit-ripening, then back to twice a
moth to prevent ripe-fruit fungi from taking out the ripe fruit.

OK? at least this is what we see works. With tea that has good bacteria,
fungi and protozoa and a few nematodes. We document good leaf coverage as well,
so we know the sprayer is working right.

Tital - contact Ted Leischner so when he gets the Vulcan, Canada lab up and
going, you can send samples there (probably January or February). You are
close, I believe. Well, closer than Corvallis, and no US border to go through!

Elaine R. Ingham
Soil Foodweb Inc., Corvallis, Oregon
Soil Foodweb Inc., Port Jefferson, New York
Soil Foodweb Institute, Lismore Australia
Soil Foodweb Institute Cambridge, New Zealand
Laboratorios de Soil Foodweb, Culiacan, Mexico
Soil Foodweb Inc., Jerome, Idaho
Soil Foodweb Inc., South Africa