Re: [compost_tea] Re: Water voodoo?

From: Ted Peterson <ted.peterson_at_tcsn.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 10:07:21 -0800

Water, water, water. . .

Before I designed my first brewer and after I had beel playing with a Soil =
Soup machine, I started doing research with people who knew how to move liq=
uids of different densities: the food processing industry. The requirement=
s for cleanliness in the food industry are far greater than any we will enc=
ounter brewing tea from compost but there are some similarities. Bacteria =
do grow as part of processing and this growth has to be controlled and test=
ed. The water has to move through pipes and into "brewers" of a sort. The=
 beer industry uses oasts which are kind of like a tea brewer (or vice-vers=
a) in that a mixture is processed with water. Then I took a look at the was=
te treatment industry and found a lot of similarities. Even in processing =
something as simple as water there are factors that are "assumed" by this t=
hread. I would suggest that a healthy look into hydrology may answer a lot=
 of questions.

As far as moving bodies of liquid creating electricity. . . This has been o=
bserved for some time. One contract I worked on used this principle to cre=
ate a generator. It was called the dam-atoll. It basically used a vortex t=
o move a wheel. As the device was built, it was discovered that the whole =
device became electrically charged (or hot) and what was finally discovered=
 was that the column of water was actually generating an electrical field b=
y the effect of moving through a limited space in a particular form at a pa=
rticular rate. Yes there was V but extremely low (miniscule) A. It turned=
 out that the energy required to use the V was much higher than the value o=
f the V which made it economically impractical.

As far as V in a brewer, we would have to see if large amounts actually fri=
ed the little critters or changed how they operate in some way. There are =
currently studies to determine plant growth rates and changes under power l=
ines and as much work as has been done in that area, data is still inconclu=
sive.

So V in water? I am unsure as to practical value.

Ted Peterson
EW/SOE