Re: [compost_tea] Re: carbonization

From: butch ragland <wilddog_202_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 12:46:56 -0800 (PST)
Maybe interesting point only to me but compost
charcoal  produces a black mulch that some homeowners
prefer. I'm not saying its good for their landscape
but the compost facility must get rid of what comes in
and the knowledge about properly prepared compost
isn't great enough to create a market for everything
we received. Therefore if we have compost charcoal
(and every compost operator has some) we sold it as
black mulch.

Our main product was a well aerated mixed hardwood and
green yard waste mulch that I proved was worthwhile as
a decorative landscape mulch. Big BUT it all has to go
somewhere.

A marketing axiom, in answer to the question "what is
it good for?", whatever you can sell it for.

--- David Anderson <squtch_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 11:12:42 -0800 (PST), butch
> ragland
> <wilddog_202_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > As a operator of a large compost facility there
> are
> > many reasons to use different consultants. In Dr
> E's
> > case I would want knowledge about organisms that
> my
> > practices were producing and any suggestions about
> > changes that would increase the numbers.
>
> Exactly. I suppose the "consultant" you hire to come
> in and fix your
> loader when it breaks would not be a big help with
> questions about the
> chemistry or biology either.
>
> Elaine's specialty is the critters and how to grow
> them. The
> production of compost charcoal is well outside the
> realm where you
> mike biologically good compost, so why does she have
> to be an expert
> on that portion? Even if she sees a pile go that
> far, the
> carbonization is just a symptom, ans she is looking
> at other
> indicators that can give information that is more
> accurate.
>
> Dave

=====
Butch Ragland