[compost_tea] Just a thought . . .

From: John R <littlejohnnyr_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 20:04:13 -0800 (PST)

I can’t help but notice how long a thread will
progress before the concept of peer-review/scientific
credibility etc creeps in then takes over. Usually
three comments at most. I guess it is unsurprising, as
many of the regular contributors rely on the benefits
of ACT for a living.

However I do wonder just how important this is.
Important enough to be the constant in most threads?
In my industry (farming/agriculture), most people
really won’t be affected by what’s written in a
science periodical. Introduce me to the idea and I’ll
give it a try. If I’m really sceptical; show me
someone who’s doing it. There are many industries
where ACT can be used, but are they all that different
in this response?

Is the success of ACT so assured that more discussion
can be put into whinging about lack of peer
acknowledgement and the shortfalls of conventional
industry, that people don’t need to actually discuss
what they’ve had success with?

As a beginner, I’m more interested in what variants
can help/hurt my endeavours. The key to progressive
farmers/farmer groups is that they share information –
successes and failures, so the others can leapfrog
those issues. The bane of the average is that they’re
so bent on privacy they all poke along at idle and
make all the same mistakes. When they do talk, most of
the time there’s some negative connotation. I realise
there are many here who have businesses to run, who
having conducted their own research and hence have
their own brews, have a degree of proprietary
interest. However to my mind, the adoption, growth
and success of ACT and the soil food web is reliant on
people who believe doing it, and doing it well. It’s
such a young industry, there’s so much to learn. For
instance with regard to the recent pasture thread, I’m
very interested to know if anyone has found a
component that helps or hinders the pasture
growth/livestock performance. More effort was put into
debating the data interpretation.

Just a thought,

Cheers
JR