Re: [compost_tea] Inter-bay, manure and continuous extraction

From: Stephen Steyn <ssteyn_at_wcaccess.co.za>
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 22:18:22 +0200

Greetings:
I must be missing something but the Inter-Bay P-Patch method seems no diffe=
rent to making compost any other way with the exception that the pile stays=
 mesofilic and that earthworms might do a large proportion of the compostin=
g. I would have thought that it would be desirable for the pile to go throu=
gh a thermofilic stage to neutralise undesirable organisms. We have covered=
 garden piles for many years with old carpeting, bags or even cardboard to =
prevent them drying out and to create a better environment for earthworms. =
To tout this as some new discovery seems presumptuous.

Another thing that puzzles me is the continuous compost extracting method a=
s espoused by our regular contributor, Robert Norsen. It seems that the met=
hod is no different from making one batch after another except that he does=
 not clean the machine after each batch. We know what that can lead to and =
it would probably upset the regulatory authorities! Also his method of usin=
g it in a centre-pivot seems like a waste. All the organisms are being wash=
ed off the leaves onto the ground when applied. Also the concentration of t=
he extract applied will be difficult to regulate over a 6 hour cycle of the=
 pivot. Why not spray the extract with a tractor rig after irrigating or ev=
en use the truck you're lugging it around with?

The last thing that puzzles me is the question of sterilized manure. If you=
 heat manure up to 70 degrees C for 5 hours or whatever, you don't get comp=
ost, you get sterilized manure. If you heat the manure above the thermofili=
c range (55 degrees C - 75 degrees C) you're carbonising it and destroying =
many of its valuable properties. If its below the thermofilic range it may =
contain pathogens. The only way to be sure of good compost is to make it yo=
urself or buy it from the composter after you are satisfied with his system=
 or seen his test results. Good compost takes months to make not weeks. If =
you require extract grade compost then make it yourself. You don't have to =
turn it every week to get the biology extractors want.

Now I'm still waiting for Ted Peterson to tell us how to make good compost =
and really confuse me!
As I wrote though, I'm very puzzled this weekend by these posts.
Comments appreciated.
Steve Steyn