Re: [compost_tea] CT and soiless media

From: <soilfoodweb_at_aol.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 00:20:30 EST

A graduate student that I work with, Mark Highland, is just finishing up his
master's thesis, and it is clear from his work that standard potting mix is
only barely equal to a properly made, GOOD, AEROBIC compost.

What defines the good aerobic compost? the presence of the aerobic BIOLOGY.

I will be at his thesis defense early next week, and look forward to his
publications soon to come.

Another graduate student at Kansas State University, Chandrappa Gangaiah, a
student with Ed Carey in Horticulture, has CLEARLY shown that AERATED compost
tea is every bit as effective as major fungicides at preventing disease.

So much for people who want to claim we haven't been doing replicated
scientific studies. Science takes time, and can't be forced to move forward faster
just because someone wants to gripe.

Good work takes time.

And also pay attention to the work done this summer by several other
students, also reported on the compost tea list serve, showing that PROPERLY made
and TESTED compost tea - got that guys, TESTED for biology - is disease
suppressive.

End of story. Boom. Put that in your pipe and smoke it. Stop attacking.
Chandrappa showed that septoria leaf spot and early blight on tomato was
suppressed using aerated compost tea

Compost tea can suppress fungal diseases.

Other graduate students are showing that mildew is fully controllable by
compost tea. Several vineyards are showing that IF THE TEA IS PROPERLY MADE,
FULLY AEROBIC, and THE RIGHT BIOLOGY is present, then mildew can be controlled.

this information is in the compost tea brewing manual. SFI reported it
first. Others are now confirming what we showed FIRST.

---------------------------------

When someone claims that they can't suppress disease, why do you suppose
that is? They don't test, do they? They tell everyone that testing isn't
needed.

They assume that they know what fungi look like in a microscope. Assume
that they knows what bacteria, or flagellates or amobae look like. Does they
offer pictures? Any data?

No.

They tell you that their tea is fungal. But do they offer any data?

Nick did not. where is his DATA that the tea he CALLED fungal was actually
fungal?

Just because you add humic acid to a tea does NOT mean the tea is fungal.
--------
Just because you put yeast in a mix of flour and water, does that mean,
automatically, that you will have bread?
--------
These same ankle-biters tell everyone that there is no need to test, but are
their teas successful at controlling diseases?

Why do you suppose these people reject SFI testing? They can't get even
poor ratings from SFI. They don't want to have to own up to the poor quality of
their teas. Think perhaps they have a bad case of sour grapes. If they
can't make the grade, then they attack the grading system.

Can you get partial results from having part of the beneficials? Sure. But
what is the point? If you can have all the benefits, why not go for all the
benefits?

----------------------------

If you don't make sure that you are getting the biology that is needed, you
can sure be surprised.

Do you have to test every batch? For awhile, yes. But do your own testing.
 Learn to use a microscope. Learn what kind of microscope is needed to see
what you need. Come take the course at SFI - a ONE DAY course.

On occasion send a sample into SFI, so you have confirmation that you know
what you are looking at.

STOP the ankle-biting and let's get back to moving forward with getting the
planet off toxic chemicals.

Elaine Ingham

Daniel has broached a subject that must interest many of us in the
nursery biz.

Are some components of our soiless mixes encouraging, discouraging
or neutral to the microherd?

I'm actually surprised to hear that a mix with a portion of good
compost did not readily reach excellent numbers. I've used good
local vermicompost in my plug mixes for a while, and just "assumed"
that it would spread it's goodness like yeast in bread dough.

Most of us rely on peat based media, and the reports of sphagnum's
anti-microbial activity seems linked to microbes, rather than the
mentioned tendency of coir to reduce them thru residues of natural
chemicals like phenol/terpene.

A mycorrhiza producer a few years back commented about poor
colonization on bark-based media cp. peat, but I've never seen
anyone else make such a comment. I imagine that the freshness of
the bark, and spp. of trees would cause quite a variation if there
is any problem in this area.

I'll certainly pass along any results as I get testing this
spring...growing plugs/transplants organically is still in its
infancy and we have tons to learn...

Glen

Elaine R. Ingham
Soil Foodweb Inc., Corvallis, Oregon
Soil Foodweb Inc., Port Jefferson, New York
Soil Foodweb Institute, Lismore Australia
Soil Foodweb Institute Cambridge, New Zealand
Laboratorios de Soil Foodweb, Culiacan, Mexico
Soil Foodweb Inc., Jerome, Idaho
Soil Foodweb Inc., South Africa