[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Human vs. natural influences on the environment

>I find the argument that "We don't really understand
everything yet, so we
>might as well keep increasing the level of our forcing
function on a system
>which may have positive feedback loops and no limits" to be
very unsettling.
>Is ignorance of an approaching cliff really bliss?

Let's get real here.  How many things in nature have
positive feedback loops associated with them?  Not many.  If
you knew anything about positive feedback, you would realize
that it is inherently unstable.  The mere fact that the
atmosphere and oceans have not turned into a frozen puddle
or boiled away strongly implies that no positive feedback is
involved.  The same argument applies for variables with no
limits.  As far as all of the physicists can tell, there are
no absolute zeroes or infinities in nature.  Everything has
a limit.

I don't know what kind of mathematical fads some of you guys
have been reading about, but I can assure you that your
starting assumptions are seriously flawed.  It's time to
wake up and learn something from your observations - stop
letting the press (TV, news, scientific, etc.) do your
thinking for you.  Get outside and look around at the earth,
sky, water, etc.  Read some math and science books,
formulate a hypothesis or two, and find a way to confirm
some of your own facts.  Do everyone a favor, and find a way
to get rid of your "Chicken Little" attitudes.

Follow-Ups: References: