Jordan Lake area 12/9

Took a day trip to the east side of the Jordan Lake area (Chatham
County, NC) today (Saturday 12/9). Land birding was very slow. Went
to three sites:

Farrington boat ramps:
Saw Song Sparrow, Swamp Sparrow, and heard just one White-throat. A
few other winter residents: Hermit Thrush (3, one avidly eating Ilex
decidua berries), Ruby and Golden-crowned Kinglets (just a few).  One
immature Bald Eagle was seen soaring. White-throat numbers there seem
much lower than usual. Has anybody else noticed low numbers of them
in the Triangle area? I am wondering if last winter's blizzard took a
heavy toll.

Crosswinds Marina:
The usual gang of Ring-billed Gulls and Double Crested Cormorants.
There was a nice group of Bonaparte's gulls (30+) foraging close to
shore and over the marina area. Three Pied-billed Grebes were hanging
around as well. Two more eagles seen circling high above the lake.

Ebenezer Point:
Saw similar birds to those seen by Roger Shaw (Horned Grebe, gulls),
but missed the Wigeon and the Mergansers. We did see a small raft of
Redheads, perhaps 10 or so. There was quite a bit of chop on the
lake, interfering with bird spotting.

--
Patrick Coin
Durham, NC