Re: Scissor-tailed Flycatcher

A note of interest.  Scissor-tailed Flycatchers have actually nested in
Laurens County, South Carolina, at the Youngs Community Center.  Heathy
Walker and I saw this species there on June 28, 1983.  I believe that it
was the second year in a row that a pair was known to nest at the Youngs
Community Center.  I don't know if they nested after 1983 or not.

Seeing a Scissor-tailed Flycatcher in southern Union County, NC (which
is not too far from Laurens County, SC, as the crow flies, anyway) seems
within the realm of possibility.  Perhaps they are attracted to the
remnant Piedmont Prairie habitat in those parts.

Paul C. Hart
Lillington, NC
ravenroc@fayettevillenc.com