You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Mar 2003

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00076 Mar 2003

Mar 2003 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Dear Sri Lakshmi Narasimhan,
What if the person can't get hold of any good cassettes, or has any "Acharyas"
beside him, but just yankees and hispanics?? Should he not chant the prabandham
at all?? I guess you make it sound like a huge transgression!!
Adiyen Dasan
Kidambi Soundararajan.
Lakshmi Narasimhan <nrusimhan@xxxx> wrote:Shrimathe Ramanujaya Namaha
Respected All,
Though I agree to this to a certain extent, I still feel that one
must sit under an acharyar and learn these(this acharyar need not be
the same as our samashrayana acharyar). I meant a "pandit" who is
well versed in the Naalayira Divya Prabandam.

I quote the following to support the same.
When Shri Bheeshmar completed performing the vaarttha-arcchana with
the Shri Vishnu Sahasranamam to the lord, everyone was happy to hear
that and wanted to recite the same. Sivaperuman and Parvati were
there too. At that point, Parvati asks the following to Shiva:
("Parvathyuvacha")

"Kena-upayena laguna vishnor nama sahasrakam |
Patyather Pandithair nithyam srothum icchami aham prabho ||"
- meaning: Is there an easy way to match the result of reciting this
sahasranamam? Only learned pandits could recite this daily. What
about others? I would like to hear the answer for this question.

Sivaperuman replies("Ishwarauvacha")
"Shri Rama Rama Ramethi Rame Rame Mano Rame |
Sahasra Naama Dhatthulyam Rama Nama Varanane ||"
- meaning: Just chant "Rama" namam all the time. It is such a
beautiful name that it brings the state of bliss to us.

In those days, Women and Kshudras were not supposed to recite
anything of this sort. Now, almost all of us(I hope I could say so)
are in that state. Either we don't know(fully or partially) or we
aren't eligible for that. So, we are no more than the kshudras of the
Maha Bharatha time. And hence, either we must learn from a Learned
Scholar or just stick to a Nama Japam.

My point is not to discourage those who may recite the Divya
Prabhandham wrong. But at the same time, if we know that we don't
know something, we should try to learn it from the right person and
till then Nama Japam is the best solution. There is no concept
of "Quick Silver" anywhere. We have to wait till the right time comes
i.e when Perumal decides that he would like to hear the recitations
from us.

"Engane Sollinum Inbam Payakkume" is for calling the lord. You can
call him, scold him, praise him. Whatever one may say about him, it
would always bring happiness to those who see it as a praising of the
lord. So, even when Yasodhapratti scolded Shri Krishnan, it sounded
nice to him. That is what is meant by Swami Azhwar's statement.

Shri Andal says
"Paasi thoortthu kidandha paar magatku pandorunal
Maasudambil neera vaara MAANAMILA PANDRIYAM" - The mother earth was
under the dust and the sirt and this guy(lord) showed up in the form
of a shamless pig:) to rescue her! - This is what is meant by "Engane
sollinum inbam payakkume".

Whether you call him as Kannan or as Kaliman(a muddy dirt), if you
say that with love, he would take up that form and come before you.
So, your words do not matter when calling him, it is only the
intentions that matter(For brahmin, even thinking of killing someone
is considered as a sin, unlike for a kshatriya who can kill a person
on the basis of dharma). So, the intentions really matter. But, this
should be understood in the right context. Azhwar pasurams are the
best way to feel and love the lord. That is why we have the practice
of Prabandha Goshti. If you can't recite i.e if you don't know
correctly, you could listen to it. To me, more than reciting,
listening gives me the feeling of love towards him. When you recite,
the concentration sometimes goes on reciting it right. When you
listen, you just hear and feel it. You are focussed.

I hope my point is understood in the right spirit. Kindly forgive me
if I've mentioned anything wrong. Please try to learn everything from
an acharyar(the right one of-course) and till then the nama japam,
which is no less than the same, is the best solution.

Yatheendra Pravanam Vandhe RAMYA Jaamaataram Munim

Adiyen RAmanuja Dasan,
Lakshmi Narasimhan

--- In ramanuja@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Pattangi <danp@xxxx> wrote:
> sri:
>
> Humble pranams to all:

Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

azhwAr emberumAnAr jeeyAr thiruvadigalE saranam