[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Question for Speeders

On Fri, 26 May 1995 Michael Johnson wrote:

> In article <3q2njk$iho@galaxy.ucr.edu>, st20c@math.ucr.edu said:
> >
> > I always wonder about people like this.  If there were no other trafic
> > on the freeway and no speed limit, would they just floor the gas pedal
> > and go faster and faster until they fly off the freeway?
>
> No, they would drive at the maximum speed at which they feel safe. Which
> is going to be different depending on the driver and on the car they are
> driving. Given a really nice road and no speed limit, I'd probably cruise
> my '93 RX-7 at 100-130 mph, conditions permitting, but I sure wouldn't
> drive our '89 VW Fox that fast (even if it would go that fast).
>
> Michael Johnson

I remember there was an experiment related to this issue done in Japan.
A major car magazine shut a certain part of the express way and let
monitors drive there without speed limits.  (They were told beforehand
that it was an experiment and that they didn't have to worry about
getting caught.)

The part of the express way is designed for speeds up to 140-150 km/h
under normal circumstances.  The speed limit is 100 km/h.  As it turned
out, more than 90 % of the monitors didn't go beyond the average of 120
km/h.  It goes to show that people tend to consider their driving skills
and/or the car's capability when driving.

If I were to drive on Autobahn (no-speed-limit area) in my GS-R, I would
probably stay within 180 km/h most of the time.  I know my car is rather
a sprinter than a marathon runner.  I don't think I'm capable of handling
180+ km/h for hours and hours either. :-(

Dai Toyama

'Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.' MATTHEW 5:4
     ..uu.                $b                     .Mb
   d?:"` "#               $f.u   ,      e        9$E      .o
   Xf   .f d9b  .     .!"tM    eH. `R;'  e"fb   .$;t. ,!$ W'   d9b
   M  .=` M `8 :$4       MR   M 'E  9R  M'  X   R  "M$$"  R   M `8
   Mx~   X ,oR  XM        W   b  d  9` 'b  z7   M;  "NF  :8  X ,oR
  z"    :RP' $b `@       :R   `%M'  9  `%M$"M. !$        !` :RP' $b
       d$    `E ,f                 lR          X           d$    `E

Follow-Ups: References: