You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Nov 2003

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00137 Nov 2003

SrI:

Dear Swamy  Desika BhakthAs:

We will now enjoy  three more   Paasurams of Amrutha SvAdhini
Prabhandham  . These Desika Prabhandha Paasurams ( 123-125 )
deal with the 25th among the 32 ChillaRai Rahasyams(Viz).,
UpakAra Sangraham .

VidvAn Dr. Ananatha NarasimhachAr Swamy of SrIrangam has
brilliantly summarized this  SrI Sookthi (UpakAra Sangraam)
of Swamy  Desikan in SaraNAgathy journal in  5 separate postings:

http://www.srivaishnava.org/sgati

Volume 2.3 ( 22 Jan 1999) to Volume 3.01 ( 12 April ,2000).

Bhagavan's 40 upakArams to the JeevAthmA are covered
in SrI U.Ve. Anantha NarasimAchAr Swamy 's essay .
Please refer to them .

123) EmperumAn's MahOpakArams
******************************
As the children and adiyArs of EmperumAn , all of us
have the right to enjoy Moksha Sukham . Our Lord blesses
all of His children with Svaroopam and Dharma BhUtha Jn~Anam
and protects us this way always . Further , He directs us towards His
SadAchAryans so that we do not drown in the ocean of SamsAram
due to previous karma vaasanais ; further , He helps us to perform Prapatthi
to Him through the SadAchAryAs after understanding rahasyArTams
from them . After that , He waits impatiently for us , the PrapannAs to join
Him at SrI Vaikuntam at the end of our life on earth and to perform
nithya kaimakryam for Him there. We prostrate before this Lord ,
who renders such great upakArams for us and stands as the protective
Father . We are blessed to know about the power of the holy feet
( Thiruvadi ) of our Lord through the SrI Sookthis of Swamy NammAzhwAr ,
who is our caring Mother.

The key passage is : " Desikar tamm munnE sErtthu  , Manthiramum
Manthiratthin vazhiyum kAtti , vazhippadutthi , vAnn yERRi ,
adimai koLLa , Tanthai yena ninRa tanit-ThirumAl  tALil
SatakOpan aruLinAl  talai  vaitthOm "

Prior to uniting us with His DesikAs (AchAryAs) , our Lord
renders important UpakAram to us , who are entitled to enjoy
the ParamAnandham of Moksha Sukham (anthamilA
pErinbham aruntha yERkkum adiyOmai) as His children .
He protects us next with the anugraham of  Dharma bhUtha
Jn~Anam ( yenRum aRivudanE kAtthu). After that , He makes
sure that we do not get affected by our previous karmAs and their
influences  ( Yemmai munthai nirai vinai vazhiyil ozhuhAthu
Kaatthu). After taking care of all these upakArams ,
He unites us with His AchAryAs to let them take over from
there .

AchAryAs  perform three more upakArams for us at the behest of
their Lord : (1) upadEsam on the AshtAksharam and
the other two manthrams (2) Instruction on their meanings
focused on Prapatthi mArgam and (3) performance by us of that
Prapatthi upAyam at  the sacred feet of the Lord for ascending to
SrI Vaikuntam ,where He stands as our Father to recieve
our nithya kaimkaryams ( Vaan yERRi adimai koLLa ,
Tanthai yena ninRa Tanit-ThirumAl tALil talai vaitthOm ).
All of this happened due to the grace of the first AchAryA
of  the Lord on this earth , Swamy  NammAzhwAr ( ThirumAl
tALil SatakOpam aruLinAl talai vaitthOm ).

124) Comprehending the Svaroopam of the Jeevan
If JeevAthmA were to know about some thing other
than itself , it can only know about it only through its
GuNam of DHARMA BhUtha Jn~Anam.The Jeevan is
described as DHARMI  BhUtha Jn~Anam since Jeevan  is
also Jn~Ana Svaroopan . When JeevAthmA wishes to learn
about  itself , he does not need the help of DHARMA
BhUtha  Jn~Anam . Jeevan  is appearing as a well defined
entity.This nature of existence is known as Svayam
PrakAsathvam. Jeevan gains for itself the phalan  from
its appearance .This attribute is known as PraTyakthvam.
Just as the Sun's lustre does not ever part from Him ,
the DHARMA BhUtha Jn~Ana guNam  of the Jeevan
does not ever disassociate  from the Jeevan .Therefore ,
the Jeevan can recognize itslf without the help of
the DHAMA BhUtha Jn~Anam. Our doctrines state
that DHARMA BhUtha Jn~Anam is essential to understand
the atomic size and the eternal nature of the Jeevan. Since
DHARMA BhUtha Jn~Anam does not have  its own chith
( aRivu), it is classified as achEthanam (insentient category) .
Only when DHARMA BhUtha Jn~Anam is applied towards
the Lord , Jeevan can be uplifted (Ujjeevanam) . For that
to happen , one needs Saasthra Jn~Anam. When one gains Saasthra
Jn~Anam , Jeevan develops the visEsha Jn~Anam that (1) it is different
from the achEthanams  and that (2) it (Jeevan) is the eternal
servant of the Lord. This Saasthra Jn~Anam is blessed by
the Lord Himself through His SaasthrAs .

This is a difficult paasuram to understand on first
reading. Swamy  Desikan describes the relation between
Jevan and Dharma BhUtha Jn~Anam as being similar to that
between the radiant Sun and its lustre . Dharma BhUtha
Jn~Anam is a guNam of   Jeevan and it is directed towards
the Lord to recognize that Jeevan is totally different from
the achEthana dravyams.The application of the Dharma BhUtha
Jn~Ana GuNam towards the Lord also lets the Jeevan gain
the visEsha Jn~Anam of its eternal dependence on the Lord as
the Iswaran (Its unconditional Master) .

125) The Limitlessness of the UpakAram of The Lord
Lord VaradarAjan intends to protect us from our sinful deeds
that land us residence in many kinds of wombs ; when our good
fortune (Bhagyam) is ripe , He blesses us to approach  the sacred feet
of  a SadAchAryan. Afterwards, He moves us towards the performance
of SaraNAgathy as an upAyam and at the end of earthly life leads us
to His Supreme abode with the help of AdhivAhikAs populating
the ArchirAdhi mArgam ( the path of Light ). At His Supreme abode,
He blesses us to enjoy  ParipoorNa  BrahmAnandham and perform
Nithya Kaimkaryam to Him . Who can really measure these limitless
help of our Lord to us ? It is impossible for anyone to succeed
in such an effort .

The key passage of this Paasuram is: " AzhiyAtha AruL Aazhip-PerumAn
seyyum antham ilA udhavi yellAm aLappAr Yaar ? ". ( Who indeed can
venture to count  the limitless upakAram rendered to us by the Eternal and
the Most Merciful Lord ? Indeed any one's attempt to engage in this
effort would be futile).

The details on the ArchirAdhi Maargam and AadhivAhikAs are
covered in the 67th Desika Prabhandha Paasuram.

Swamy  Desikan ThiruvadigaLE SaraNam , Daasan ,
Oppiliappan Koil VaradAchAri SadagOpan

Srimate Sri Laksminrisimha Divya Paduka Sevaka
SrivaNN Satakopa Sri Narayana Yatindra Mahadesikaya Nama:

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/XUWolB/TM