You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Nov 2003

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00143 Nov 2003

Dear Swamy  Desika BhakthAs :

Today , adiyEn will cover the Four Pasurams associated with
the Third step of the sOpAnam ,  Virakthi paravam and
the Fourth step in the ladder to Parama Padham , Bheethi
Parvam .

138) SamsAra Virakthi ( detatchment & disinterest in SamsAram )
ulahatthil uyarnthavar onRum payanil uRum thuyaRum
   alahil padAtha abbhOgam kavarnthu yzezhum ambhuyatthOn
kalahat-thozhil Madhu KaiDabarAl padum kattam yeNNil
   pala kaRRa meyyadiyAr padiyAr ikkaDum bahavatthE

(Meaning): On this karma bhUmi, the pleasures enjoyed
by those  , whom we think highly off , are never of the unalloyed
sukham. The sorrow is at the middle of these so called Sukhams.
We think that Brahma Devan in his Sathya lOkam is the enjoyer of
limitless bliss. The pain and anxiety that Brahma Devan experienced
from the attack of the two asurAs , Madhu and KaiDabhan intent
always in engaging in Yuddham , is immeasurable. When the VivEkis
reflect on these alpa and asTira Sukhams tinged always with
inauspicopusness ,  they do not develop any attachment to SamsAram
and reject it as a manifestation of their virakthi .

The Key passage of this Paasuram is : "  Pala kaRRa meyyadiAr
ikkaDum bhavatthu padiyAr " ( True  BhAgavathAs conversant
with the SaasthrAs of the Lord will not opt for the terrible SamsAric
way of life ).

139) Svargam becoming like Narakam for VivEkis
tanthirangaL aLavilarAi dhanatthAl mikka
   taarvEnthar thozha vyaam aaNDAr mANDAr
chandiranum sooriyanum veeyum kaalam
   tArahayin vaDamum aRRu tani vann aaLum
Indiranum yERu uyarttha Isan thAnum
   yeer iraNDu muhatthAnum illaa annannAL
namm ThirumAlaik-kaNDAr naaham yellAm
  narahu yenRu naRRpadhamE nAduvArE

(Meaning ): Where are those mighty emperors (Manu,
MaandhAthA et al) surrounded by many  kings who ruled
the universe with their vast armies today ?  All of them are
dead and gone. Similarly , there will be  a time , when there
will be no Moon, Sun, Stars, Indhran , Sivan , Brahma DEvan
and others . That time is known as MahA PraLayam. At that
time , the only abode that stays without demise is the Supreme
abode of SrIman NaarAyaNan. When knowledgable and
insightful scholars analyze these facts, they will equate the sukhams
of Svargam to the sufferings in hell (narakam ) and will utterly reject
SamsAra  Sukhams. This feeling state is recognized as the third
step in the ladder to Parama Padham (MOksham ).

The key passage in this Paasuram is : " Namm ThirumAl nilai
kaNDAr naakam yellAm narahu yenRu , nall padhamE nAduvAr ".

140) Fear about the fruits of KarmAs
*******************************
thuRavaRamE thuNivAr thuNukku aRRa iLam thuNivOr
   uRavu ilar aathalinAm uyarnthArudan onRi ninROm
maRa vazhi mARRi yemm mayyalai theertthavar mann aruLAl
  kaRavai uhantha PirAn kazhal soodum karutthinamE

(Meaning ): The superior dharmams associated with gaining
freedom from SamsAric shackles areknown as Nivrutthi dharmams.
Those who adopt them will not mix with the ignoramus , who do not
fear the terrors of SamsAram . Therefore , we minglerd only with
those , who desire Moksham ( MUmukshus). We gained the firmness
of purpose to serve the Lord , who engages joyously to graze
the cattles even in SrI Vaikuntam as KaNNan . This was made
possible through the glances (KadAksham ) of our AchAryAs  ,
who pull us away from travelling in the pathof sin and banish our
ajn~Anam .

The key section of this Paasuram is: " MaRa vazhi mARRi
yemm myyalai theertthavar mann aruLAl kaRavai uhantha PirAn
kazhal soodum karutthinam " ( Our Most  Merciful SadAchAryas
removed our ajn~Anam and pulled us out of engaging in sinful acts
by casting their auspicious glances on us . Their anugraham led to
our determination to perform  nithya Kaimkaryam to GopAlan
in His Supreme abode .

141) UpAya anushtAnam driven by the fear about the KarmAs
vanthana pOlvaruvanavum ananthamAhi
  mALAtha thyur taru valvinai neruppukku
intanamAi yeNNirantha kAlamellAm
  innamum ibbhavak-kuzhikkE izhiyA vaNNam
venthathu oru kuzhaviyai naRRk-kumaraNAkkum
  veRit-tuLava VittakanAr vithiyE koNDAr
pandhanamAm avai anaitthum pARuhaikkup-
  pazha maRayin parama neRi payiluvArE

(Meaning ):  There has been no limit to the sorrows
experienced by the SamsAris. There is also no limit
to what they are going to experience in the future.
This immense fire of karmAs (vinaikaL) burns the jeevans
by treatign them as firewood. The SamsAris keep on
churning in this deep pit of SamsAram undergoing all
these sufferings . The people with sharp intellect reinforced
by their viEkam and virakthi develop a fear fro these samsAric
sorrows that would hold them under their control. They follow
the command of the Lord to practise Bhakthi or Prapatthi yOgam
to chase away all their karmAs and place the burden of their
protection at the Lord's sacred feet .

The key passage of this Paasuram is : " PandhanamAm avai
anaitthum piNikkum paaRukaikku pazha maRayin Parama
neRi payiluvAr " ( The wise ones  break the handcuffs  that tie
them to SamsAram  by performing the supremely auspicious
act of Prapathti recommended in the VedAs ).

The power of the Lord to intervene and transform
the embryo in the womb of Uttarai , which was turned in to
a piece of charcoal by the apANDavAsthram used by
AsvatthAma , the son of DhrONAchArya during the mighty
battle at KurukshEthram . Our Lord with the fragrant TuLasi
Maalai transformed that totally burnt child existing as a piece
of charcoal in to a handsome prince known as ParIkshith through
His matchless anugraha sakthi . BhagavAn is saluted as
the powerful one performing mysterious deeds of anugraham
for His dear ones ( venthathu oru kuzhaviyai  naRRk-KuamranAkkum
veRit-tuLava VitthahanAr ).

The third and the fourth steps of the ladder to Moksham  (Parama Padha
sOpAanam )
are covered throught hese four Paasurams . Next , we will study the
PrasAdhana parvam
dealing with the UpAya anushtAnam by the Jeevan ( The Fifth Step in the
Ladder ).

Swamy Desikan ThiruvadigaLE SaraNam
Daasan , Oppiliappan Koil  Varadachari Sadagopan

SrimathE SrI Lakshmi Nrusimha Dhivya PaadhukA Sevaka
SrI VaNN SaThakOpa NaarAyaNa YathIdhra MahA DesikAya Nama: