You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Nov 2003

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00148 Nov 2003

SrI:

Dear Swamy Desika BhakthAs:

Today , we will study the first three Paasurams of
Para Matha Bhangam . The first Paasuram consists  of
Swamy  Desikan's salutaions to Lord Sudarsanar ,
the embodiment of the Sankalpa Sakthi of SriMan NaarAyaNan.
The second and the Third Paasurams are tributes to AchAryans
for their great UpakAram to us.

154) Salutations to Sudarsana BhagavAn
*********************************
vaNN taLa ambhuyatthuL ilankum aRu kOnam misai
   vaNN paNilam Thikiri vaLai vill vaLai-vaay Musalam
tiNN kaiyil ankusam seer thihazhum Gadhai senkamalam
   yeNN padai yEnthi ninRAn yezhil Aazhi IRayavanE

(Meaning ): Lord Sudarsanar is standing on top of
a eight petaled Lotus flower housing the six cornered
yanthram . He is radiant with the eight weapons in His
eight hands : Conch , Chakram , Bow , Axe , Pestle ,
Elephant Goad , Mace , Lotus shaped weapon.

Additional Comments:
*****************
The soundharyam of Lord Sudarsanar is saluted as
"Yezhil Aazhi IRayavan" . His status as  the Master of the battle field
is recognized by the choice of the name "IRayavan " ( Lord ) .
The weapons are held firm in His hands (tiNN kayil ) for immediate
use (prayOgam) . " VeNN paNilam " refers to the white hued
conch. " VaLai moonRu vill " denotes the Saarngam bow bent at three
places . Lord Sudarsanar is ready to fly in to action as indicated by
His PrathyAleeDam posture with one step  mounted forward .
Swamy  Desikan seeks the protective power of Lord Sudarsana
in the context of the imminent debate with the Para MathasthAL.

155) The great help of AchAryAs ; A verse with 16 lines
This Paasuram is set in PathinARu SeerAsiriya Chandha
Viruttham . It is a majestically moving Paasuram with
beautiful Chandham and has to be recited without break
to enjoy the TaaLa PramAnam. :

vidu neRi anji vidat-thodakkiya
   vithiyar adainthu thozhat-tazhaitthu yezhu
vizhi aruL tanthu vilakku adi kaLai
   virahil iyambi vilakki vaitthanar

kodu vinai yenpathanai tinatthinai
   koNarthal ihantha guNat-tanatthinar
Kuruhayil vanthu kozhuppu adakkiya
   Kulapathy tantha kuRippil Vaitthanar

Kadu narahu anbhu kazhaRRi maRRoru
     kathi peRum anpil yemmaip-porutthinar
Kamalai uhantha kadal kidaikkadal
     karuNai uyarntha tidarkku orukkinar

padu mudhal inRi vaLarttha naRRkkalai
    pala pala onRa yemakku uraitthanar
pazha maRaiyanthi nadaikku idaic-chuvar
   Para Matham yenRu idittha pattharE

(meaning): The Para Mathams (Veda Baahya and Kudhrushti
Mathams ) were obstacles to the spreading of  our timeless
Matham rooted in Veda/VedAnthams. Our parama BhAgavatha
AchAryAs refuted the incorrect doctrines of Para Mathams
through their SrI Sookthis and one-on-one debates with
the challengers from Para Matham. We went and prostrated before
these AchAryAs driven by our fear of following the sinful ways
(deceptively alluring Para Mathams) .Those merciful AchAryAs
blessed us with affection and cast their auspicious glances on us.
They instructed us about (1) the misfortunes that would result from
the sins that block our pursuit of the right UpAyams (2) the need for
observance of the right upAyam to gain Moksham . Those AchAryAs
have the caring disposition to make sure that no sins come our
way. They made us follow the way shown by Swamy
NammAzhwAr , who with His sweet paasurams refuted
the unsound doctrines of Para Mathams.They asked us
to be aware of the deeds that will land us in Narakam
and made us long for Moksham .They made us fit objects
for approaching the Lord resting in the Milky Ocean .They
initiated us in to many eternal vidhyAs . Many indeed are
the matchless upakArams extended to us by  our most
merciful AchAryans .

Special Notes based on SrI UtthamUr Swamy's commentary:
Question may  arise as to the appropraiteness of the Viraktha
SikhAmaNis like our AchAryas to engage in acts of refutation
and deflation of the Para mathams. In reality , it is the way shown by
our PoorvAchAryAs. There is nothing wrong with such refutations.
This refutation is not to condemn the Para Matha AchAryAs ;
it is for the auspiciousness of the world and to spare one's own
sishyAs from being confused and agitated . It is like removing
the weeds from a planted field for the health of the crop under
cultivation.In creating this KhaNDana Grantham , Swamy Desikan
points out that it is not only dhUshaNam (finding fault with
the premises of other Veda Baahya and Kudhrushti mathams )
but it is also Sva-paksha sTApanam ( securing the  foundations
of one 's own Matham : VisishtAdhvaitha SiddhAntham).
Para Matha nirasanam or condemnation of the faulty doctrines of
other Mathams is defended as an important duty of an AchAryan.
This is the legitimate duty of a SadAchAryan : Sva Paksha sTApanam
and Para Paksha Prathikshiptham . Both have to go together :
Establishment of the soundness of one's doctrines as well as
the logical rejection of the faulty doctrines of Para Mathams .

Additional Notes on this Paasuram
***************************
Para Mathams were like the blocking walls between
the straight way of ancient VedAntham ( Para Matham pazha
maRayanthi nadaikku idaic-chuvar). Those walls had
to come down.AchAryAs broke them down so that
there are no more obstructions to travel on the right royal
road of VedAntham . AchAryAs are saluted here as
" Idaic-chuvar idittha Patthar ".

The fortunate sishyAs were afraid to travel on the misleading routes of
Para Matham and abandoned such travel ( vidu neRi anji vidat-
thodakkiya vithiyar ) and prostrated before the sacred feet
of their AchAryAs ( adainthu Thozha) . What did the AchAryAs
do ? They cast their merciful glances on these sishyas ( aruL vizhi
tanthu) and instructed them on the futile pursuit of Para Mathams
for gaining Moksham and removed  their doubts like a farmer
will remove the weeds from the field to protect the main crop
( vilaku adi kaLai iyampi ) . They not only  saved us from
observance of sinful deeds but also initiated us in the performance of
the UpAyam ( Bhakthi or Prapatthi yOgam ) befitting our sakthi.

The AchAryAs helped us with additional things as well :
(1) They positioned us to comprehend and practise the deep
doctrines of our Kulapathi , Swamy  NammAzhwAr ( Kulapathy tantha
kuRippil vaitthanar).

(2) They removed our penchant for committing sins through
their SadhupadEsams (kodu vinai tavirtthanar).

(3) They kindled our longing for Moksha Sukham  ( maRRoru
gathi peRum anbil yeMMai porutthinar).

(4) They raised us to the elevated plateau , where the most
merciful Lord is resting ( KaruNai tidarkku orukkinar).

(5) They revealed to us many vidhyAs bequeathed to them
by PoorvAchAryAs and Sages ( pala pala nall kalai uraitthanar ).

Such is the grand Compassion and UpakAram of our AchAryAs !

156) The act of AchAryAs instructing us only on the essence of Doctrines
pOm uraikkum poruL yaamm aRiyOm poruL aar maRayil
    uraikkinRa thAmE aRiyum taram udayArAm
uraikkinra ivai aayntu yedutthu AaraNa nool vazhiyE
   nAmm uraikkum vahai nall aruL yEnthi navinRanaRE

(meaning ):  The Veda manthrams with their true meanings of doctrines
are like the  deep ocean . We can not know without the help of AchAryAs
as to which Veda Manthrams are to be used and which are to be discarded .
Our AchAryAs have the power to see directly , what they speak about
as upadEsams. Out of their boundless mercy towards us , they have
searched deeply among the Veda manthrams and picked those , which are
indispensable  for us and instructed us on them .As a result , we (Swamy
Desikan )  embraced the path of VedAntham and are able to create
this SrI Sookthi of  Para Matha Bhangam .

Before the AchArya UpadEsam , we were ignorant ones , who had
no idea about which portions of the vast Vedam is appropriate
for us and which one are not (PoruL aar maRayil  pOm uraikkum
poruL yaamm aRiyOm ) .

The quality of our AchAryAs is such that they have the power to
directly visualize what they teach us ( tAmm uraikkinrana tAmE
aRiyum taram udayAr ).

These glorious AchAryAs have DayA towards us and have analyzed
the entire gamut of Veda Manthrams , picked among them whatever
is appropriate for us ( nall aruL yEnthi , aaynthu ivai uraikkum aamm
yenRu). Then they instructed us on those selected manthrams
in the way in which Vedam shows ( aaraNa nool vazhiyE nAmm
uraikkum vahai navinRanar).

Additional Comments
******************
We do not know the Bhaava Patha arTams of the Veda Manthrams.
We can not use yukthi vaadham or kutarkkam to establish which of
the meanings of Veda Manthrams is lasting and which are not .
AchAryAs endowed with satthva GuNam are able to distinguish
Nithya ( lasting) and anithya (non-lasting ) meanings and have the vivEkam
to instruct us about the true and lasting meanings of SaarIradhi Saasthrams.

Swamy  Desikan ThiruvadigaLE SaraNam ,
Daasan , Oppiliappan Koil VaradAchAri SadagOpan

SrimatE SrI Lakshminrusimha Dhivya PaadhukA Sevaka
SrI SaThakOpa SrI NaarAyaNa YathIndhra MahA DesikAya Nama:

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/XUWolB/TM